Ending Number Two

✵ Ending Number Two

Maverick never ran so fast.

He ran without stop, no matter how much his legs begged him to stop and slow down, he forced himself to keep going.

There was smoke rising, where (Y/n)'s jet had landed in quite the explosion.

As he dodged and weaved between trees, he saw a broken path of trees and dirt split, revealing the cause of the smoke rising into the air.

There was (Y/n)'s jet, Maverick getting a sick feeling in his stomach.

It was aflame, his eyes darting around as he tried to find the one who had once flown such a jet.

His eyes widened, catching a familiar green suit in the snow.

It was (Y/n).

She had finally gotten to her feet when Maverick got to her, shoving her forward, (Y/n) letting out a sound of pain when he did that.

"Holy shit." (Y/n) muttered, turning onto her back, shaking her head, about to get up and fight, only to see it was Maverick. "Maverick!" She struggled to get back up onto her feet, Maverick panting.

Maverick's eyebrows furrowed, taking in her appearance.

(Y/n) had a bad gash on her forehead, blood coating the left side of her face. But what really caught his attention, was the burns on her face, her left eye unrecognizable, the other squinting and blinking as she tried to get her bearings.

She had burns all over her, her uniform burned in some spots, cuts and forming bruises evident on her (s/c) skin.

"What the hell was that!" (Y/n) scowled. She then winced, looking down at herself, as best she could, to take in the damage.

From what she could feel, she was in extreme pain, her head was spinning, the burns on her face and body making her feel like hot coals were being held to her skin.

Her eyesight was blurry and unfocused, something Circe had never had to deal with.

"Circe, what were you thinking?" Maverick hissed, though his voice had less of an edge to it, the worry in his voice taking from the intimidation.

(Y/n)'s breathing was labored, her putting an arm over her abdomen, her breathing coming out in wheezes.

"You told me-" (Y/n) wheezed, "-to not think up there." She narrowed her one good eye, looking at his standing figure from the ground, "I saved your life."

"No, I saved your life, that's how it works!" He defended, (Y/n) turning her head away in defiance.

Despite the intense, blazing, pain in her face, her eyes specifically, her ears ringing, and some things muffled, she managed to still let a small smile come onto her face.

"Good to see you?" She tried to lighten the mood, though it didn't seem to be working too well.

Maverick sighed and took the bait, "Good to see you too." He looked around, noticing more smoke coming from a distance away.

"Alright..." He quickly thought it through, realizing they were near the enemy base they'd bombed, "...we need to go to the base, just to scope it out."

(Y/n) immediately looked up at him, though regretted it just as fast, feeling a crick in her neck.

"Ouch..." (Y/n) muttered, before speaking up, "...scope it out? For what?" She questioned.

"Well, if we have any luck-" Maverick sighed heavily, "-we'll find a jet, that I can fly, that won't be destroyed."

He then reached his hand out, (Y/n) grunting and putting her hand into his, him pulling her up, her grunting in pain.