Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine~ Beach Day- Part 2

Once (Y/n) had finished holding the ice on her hand, everyone else had showed up, Maverick gathering them all up.

"Today, we will be doing something a little different-" He pulled two footballs out behind his back, "-we will be playing offense and defense football."

(Y/n) perked up, setting her icepack down, that had become more lukewarm than anything. Her hand was still red and slightly swollen, though she chose to ignore it.

"So for teams, you all will split up evenly." Maverick looked at all of them, some people glancing around at who they wanted on their teams. "So get on it!"

(Y/n) stayed seated, everyone getting up and starting to form teams. (Y/n) looked to Phoenix, seeing her talking to Rooster, so she looked down at the sand, observing how hot the sand had gotten, before a shadow covered where she was looking.

(Y/n) looked up, Phoenix standing there, Rooster, Payback, and Fanboy standing there, "Want to join our team?" She asked, (Y/n) smiling slightly, before nodding.

(Y/n) got up and stood behind Phoenix, showing she was on her team, some other older pilots coming in and joining their team.

Hangman had his own team, Coyote being one, and a few others on their team, including Maverick.

Now that they were split evenly, Maverick handed one ball to Phoenix, and one to Hangman.

They each got into position, the heat beating down on them, their hearts racing in anticipation for what was to come.

The sound of a whistle sounded, the game had started.

(Y/n) caught the ball easily, her eyes able to pinpoint where she needed to be to catch it. The teams had started to switch around, (Y/n) being on the opposing team of Phoenix now.

(Y/n) took off to the other side, the "endzone" being on the opposite side of where she had intercepted a ball to Coyote.

Maverick and Rooster blocked a few people, (Y/n) about to get to the endzone, before she felt someone ram into her.

(Y/n) fell forward, though moved at the last moment for her side to take the impact, (Y/n), having shut her eyes at the fall, opened her eyes to see who it was. She had held onto the ball as she fell, her side taking most of the impact, the sand, shells, and broken glass digging into her side an unpleasant feeling.

Much to her displeasure, when she looked up, there was Hangman, smirking down at her.

"We're on the same team dipshit." (Y/n) painfully moved to be on her back, relying on her forearms.

Hangman just played dumb, "Oh? Are we? I didn't notice."

(Y/n) smirked painfully, "I'm sure you didn't, but I know everyone noticed that beauty of a bruise on your jaw."

Hangman's smirk was omnipresent, "Lucky hit."

At this point, everyone came over, to see what was taking so long.

(Y/n) slowly sat up, feeling a sharp pain in her side, looking to see cuts on her side, shells having cut up her side with the rough shove. There was some broken glass all along the beach, some of it having dug into her skin, (Y/n) wincing when she slightly touched them. Blood was dripping down her side, the salty sea water and sand in the wound making it even worse.

Phoenix and Rooster were the first over there, Phoenix bending down next to the female, seeing the red liquid.

"What the hell happened?" Maverick was the next over, Hangman's smirk turning into a smile of faux confusion.

"Oh you know, playing too rough." He covered up, (Y/n) scowling from the ground, getting up, ignoring the stinging pain in her side.

(Y/n) walked over to where the first aid kit was, Phoenix going with her, throwing a nasty glare at Hangman, Rooster staying behind to talk to Hangman.

(Y/n) sat down at the table, for the second time that day, Phoenix taking off her sunglasses to get a better look at the wounds.

"Second time I'm having to patch you up Circe." Phoenix grabbed the first aid box, a playful, teasing, tone in her voice. Though that was what she sounded like, she was pissed and concerned, this sort of hatred or dislike between (Y/n) and Hangman getting out of hand.

(Y/n) bit her lip when Phoenix started pulling out some of the glass shards, blood coming out even more when they were removed. Phoenix pressed some gauze to the cuts, to stop the bleeding, (Y/n) groaning in protest.

"This is the consequences of your own actions." Phoenix sighed, though tried to be more gentle when stopping the bleeding.

(Y/n) let out a pained chuckle, looking to Phoenix, who was bent down to fix her side, "Worth it, I get to be patched up by you-" Phoenix looked up at her, "-again."

Phoenix chuckled, and looked back to what she was doing, removing the bloody gauze, the bleeding having stopped. She took some of the disinfectant, (Y/n) groaning again, knowing this was going to hurt like a bitch.

"This is going to hurt like a bitch." Phoenix warned, though less than a second later, a sharp, stinging, pain went through (Y/n)'s side, her biting her lip to the point of bleeding to not make anymore noise.

Once the pain had slowly died down, Phoenix patted the spot dry with some gauze, before taking some bandages and placing them gently over the cuts.

(Y/n) sighed, glad that part was done.

Phoenix stood back up, putting her sunglasses back on, her face getting serious.

"What happened out there?" Phoenix questioned, having been drinking water, and when she turned around, (Y/n) was on the ground.

(Y/n) sighed, touching her bandaged side, the bandaging having been done well, "Bagman just shoved me, and, one thing lead to another, this happened."

Phoenix turned and looked at Hangman, who was back to playing football with the others. She then looked back to (Y/n), who was looking at Rooster.

"What were you talking about with Rooster?" (Y/n) asked, her eyes still trained on her brother.

Phoenix looked confused, "What do you mean?"

(Y/n) looked to Phoenix, looking up since she was seated, "I saw you two, talking outside the dorms, and then today, before we picked teams."

Phoenix took a moment to recollect, before realizing (Y/n) had seen them talking, when Phoenix left the hospital.

"Oh, that was nothing." Phoenix tried to brush it to the side, (Y/n) not letting it go.

"But something was going on, he rushed away quite suddenly." (Y/n) persisted, the topic having been bothering her for a while.

Phoenix was internally debating what to do, thinking back to the conversation.

"I like her." She said simply, Rooster looking to (Y/n), who was looking down at the sand, before looking back to Phoenix.

"It wasn't exactly a secret, I just wanted to hear it from your mouth." Rooster smirked, Phoenix's face turning into one of being unimpressed. "Well I have an idea..."

"Meet me at The Hard deck, and I'll tell you." Phoenix proposed, "Tomorrow night at 8:00."

(Y/n) looked at her curiously, her heart beating faster as her mind tried to think of what it could be.

"This sounds-" (Y/n) cut herself off, though smiled anyway, "-I'd be happy to."

 End of Chapter Nine