Chapter 12: The final straw

Thomas felt his cheeks getting progressively wetter, as his breath increased and increased.
His vision was getting blurry. For the first time since they had arrived in the Dark Dimension, he felt true hopelessness.
It was just them three now. Only Will, Jaiden....and......and why....why did all of this chaos fall on them? What had they done to deserve such...cruelty?!
He layed on his back, watching the moon, on the other side of the sky, slowly going down.
What other horrors would they have to bare before being finally freed? What else did Joey have in store for them?! Were they ever going to be able to escape this.....hellhole?!
Thomas turned his head to stare at Will and Jaiden, who were both standing up quickly to get the two shards.
Thomas, however, couldn't move: his body felt like stone, and even if he wanted to move, he felt like he had no energy left.
Adding to that, his head was spinning and his ears were ringing so loudly that he actually thought of placing his hands over his ears so that the sounds couldn't bother him, before remembering his body was not going to collaborate.

He didn't know what to do. He was mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted and he wanted nothing more than to just rest...

He just...wanted...to rest...

{================}

"Thomas? Thomas! Finally you're awake! We were worried sick!".
That voice sounded familiar. Too familiar.
The actor sluggishly opened his eyes to the sight of his two remaining friends, one with a towel wetted with cold water and the other one placing a hand on his forehead: "Phew, I thought you had caught a cold...Still, give me the towel, Will, it's better to be safe than sorry."

Jaiden took the cold towel and slowly placed it on Thomas' forehead, them smiled: "The only water available that wasn't poisonous her was the one of the lake of the Sirens, so we had to go there to get it and then come back in a rush."
She explained, helping him to stand up:"What....time is it? How much have we got before sunrise?" "Ten past five...we still have 50 minutes...and we're still missing one mirror shard...my mirror shard..." Will answered, looking at the still fresh wound that was thankfully covered by the shirt and the jacket.

"It's...it's ok, Will... we'll find another way, surely we can think of a better plan!" Jaiden reassured her friend, before looking at the other one: "Thomas, get the shards in that box, we need to start piecing the mirror together."

Standing up slowly, to not get too worked up, he grabbed the box and inserted the combination Eva had given them, then took out the seven mirror shards and placed them on the table: "Ok, let's get to work..." Will murmured.
Every piece was different in shape and form, but every of them seemed to fit into another like a puzzle.
After ten minutes (it was now 5:20 AM) the three remaining survivors managed to put together an oval-shaped cracked mirror, with a silver frame surrounding the glass of the boarder.
Yet, there was one piece missing. A triangle-shaped piece on the high left, the piece they traded for Will's and Jaiden's lives.

"I'm... so sorry... we've done so much, and now-" Will begun, but Thomas promptly interrupted him: "It's ok Will... we'll figure out something else, something even better..." He tried to give his best, comforting and reassuring smile.
Something in that moment clicked behind them: one of the big drawers that had been shut until then opened, to reveal the two items the survivors were LEAST expecting to see: a shining sword, covered in silver dust and the missing mirror shard.

Jaiden's eyes swelled with tears as she rushed to the drawer, picking the mirror shard up and holding it tight, like it was her bird pet Ari.
Will took the sword and examined it, smirking gleefully, as if he could already see the moment he'd get to plunge its pointy and sharp edge into Joey's chest and send his sorry ass back to the world of the dead.
Finally, Thomas took the sheet of paper that was next to the sword and unfolded it.
"We have it....we have the final piece...we can escape!" Jaiden exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Will, who laughed along, letting the tears trickle down his face, letting go of all the tension that had build up to that point.
"Hey guys, check this out." Thomas stated, reading the context of the sheet out loud: