Chapter 8: a mystical miracle

The four remaining survivors followed the hunter down the path and arrived at the perimeter of the forest: "Honestly, I think Joey's just making us waste time by now!" Jaiden murmured, jumping over some broken branches.

"Here we are!" Joey's disembodied voice exclaimed, as the others reluctantly got closer to the hunter: "This is where you will face the next part of the trial!".

The hunter glanced at the four, before moving to a nearby tree; he then removed a little pile of leaves, to reveal two silver revolvers.

Tommy's eyes widened at the sight, his mind filling with concern and fear: "We...have to go haunt some animals, right Joey?! We can do that, it's fine!".

Instead, the humanoid figure marched towards him and handed both him and Razz the guns: "Oh, not actually!" The corrupted Savant exclaimed, appearing near one of the trees: "You are going to play a really fun game! You will be positioned back to back and will march in the opposite directions. Then, when I finish counting, you will turn around and...well, you've got to hope you're faster than your opponent!".

Razz glanced at the gun in his hands, before looking at Tommy, who held his same stare: "Don't just stand there like two idiots, get a move on!".

The hunter grabbed Tommy by the arm and pushed him forth, his heavy and smelly breathes making the adventurer gag and almost throw up on the monster's shoes.

"Ready??" Joey smiled, as the two looked at each other and raised their gun: "Tommy..." Razz whispered: "I am sorry, whatever the outcome will be...".

As Joey began counting, the two started marching, one going towards the mansion, and the other towards the forest.

Meanwhile, Jaiden and Wilbur remained in the back, sweating as much, if not more, than the others.

"eight...nine...TEN!" Joey exclaimed, lowering his hand as if he was nothing more than a referee.

Tommy turned around as fast as he could and, without even looking in front of him, pulled the trigger; a loud, ear-splitting BANG could be heard throughout all the forest.

When he opened his eyes, he saw a mist of golden dust where Razz was only a few seconds ago: "Oh fu**..." he murmured, hastily dropping the gun to the ground: "The first round is won by Tommy!".

The hunter grabbed the gun and tossed it over to Wilbur, the did the same with Razz's gun, handing it to Jaiden: "Are you ready for the second round??".

Rudely motioning for Tommy to move aside, the humanoid figure waited for Jaiden and Wilbur to position and then returned to his previous spot: "Are you ready? One...two....three...".

As the corrupted Savant begun counting, Tommy thought about what was happening: his friends....were not dead, right?

Sure, they had been eliminated by that "competition", but not killed...right? They were somewhere in that weird dimension, but still safe in one piece.....what if it wasn't that way...and Joey had tricked everyone into killing each other?!

He had to stop Wilbur and Jaiden from shooting each other, he had to-

BANG

Tommy looked up immediately as he heard the sound of the gun going off, just in time to see Wilbur's body turning into a mist of golden dust and fading away: "Good shot, Jaiden! Even better than that Scottish idiot! See what good his shooting skill did him, ahaha!".

Jaiden looked at Tommy with an apologetic stare, her hands shaking even more than before: "And we have the two winners! Finally some action, took you long enough to realise that it's kill or be killed here, right?".