~Prologue: Aftermath~

The grandfather clock struck midnight, a loud DONG could be heard through the halls and various exhibits chambers of the Museum of the Dead.

On the table in the safe lounge, the Pandora Box stood still, but at the sound of the clock chiming, the eyes of the octopus emblem started to glow of a bright red, as if it was waiting for this moment.

With a click on both sides, the cover of the box slammed open and released the mold of shadows contained within it.
----------------------------------------

"This is useless garbage! How am I supposed to create a portal to the limbo with this stuff?!" Mat yelled, looking at the various artifacts collected by the SAE (Society Against Evil) in the past centuries: Perseus' shield, fused with the beheaded head of the Gorgon, whose eyes can petrify every living being that locks eyes with it and therefor protected by a one - way glass bell; the Andvaranaut, the magical ring of the treasure of Fafnir, thanks to which wealth could be eternally renewed; on one of the pedestals were the four artifacts found in the halls of the estate Joey had once "inherited from a distant, deceased relative", and many more reliques.

"Well, you could start by inspecting them one by one to understand how they work, instead of whining and lashing out at me! I'm trying to help you!" Nikita snapped, staring angrily into the American man's brown eyes.

A few feet away, Colleen and Bretman looked sadly at their companions: "Colleen... are you feeling better?" Bretman asked, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder: "No... no I'm not! Joey was supposed to save us all, instead ended up killing them and getting trapped in that damned box!" the woman cried, looking down at her chest, remembering the moment she got trapped by the same man who should have saved her in the Maiden of Madness: the creaking noise of the doors of the chamber closing, the painful feeling of the sharp spikes sinking into her skin, the blood that poured over her body, then... the darkness.

"You're still awake?!" a voiced boomed behind them: SAE members Jael and Ryu entered the hall, looking at the two survivors: "You need rest, how many times do we need to repeat it?! Look, you've been trough a lot and I get it that you want to help your friends, even if right now they are acting like an old married couple about to sign divorce papers-" Jael said, glancing at Mat and Nikita, who were so invested in their argument that they hadn't even noticed the presence of the two: "-But now all you need is a good night of sleep, which will hopefully clear your minds, so good night!".

Bretman watched as Jael and Ryu exited the hall, before turning to his friend: "Sis, listen to them, let's go to sleep and we will face this situation tomorrow" Colleen simply looked back at him, while tears, careless, rolled down her cheeks: "Look, if it makes you feel better, we can sleep in the same room" he continued, trying his best to give his friend a reassuring smile.

The duchess nodded, before exiting the room, leaving Mat and Nikita to their discussion.

------------------------------------

He was getting adjusted to his new form.
Before, it would only let him out for a few minutes, then absorb him back in.
It had already been an hour.
The museum hadn't change at all after the demise of the Collector, whose petrified body was right where he had left it, at the main staircase.
He couldn't recall how he did it, but he knew he was the one who killed her, and that thought alone was enough for a creepy and sadistic grin to form on his lips.

"Are you enjoying yourself, dear?" a voice whispered in his ear, a voice as sweet as honey, but as sharp as a knife.
He'd recognize that voice anywhere, the voice of his master.

He turned around, looking at the box, that was still on the table where he had left...when had he left it there?
How long had it been? Hours? Days? Months? Years?