what is the eldest bat on about ?

What he'd really wanted to say was… well, it would have been meddling-y, the kind a group of kids and their dog got yelled at for.

He'd held back, because Dahlia wouldn't have wanted him sticking his nose between Robin & Superboy, but it was so, so hard. Because he knew that look in Jon's eyes- regret, loss, a very painful type of yearning that came from massively dicking things up.

More so, he knew that every time he'd looked like that, he hadn't been wishing he could just joke around and go on patrol with Starfire.

Maybe it was because he'd always stayed friends with his exes, for the most part, but every time he'd seen that look on his face in the mirror, when he saw his reflection and he looked about a foot out earth's heavenly door, and he couldn't sleep, couldn't smile, couldn't function , he knew he had to let his pride take a knee.

And it'd gotten him wonderful things, more than he could have imagined, and he knew there was so much more to come.

He smiled at her as she sauntered over to him from where he'd plopped down on the couch, arms spread over the back. She had the devil in her eyes, behind the concern and exhaustion, and he knew she was thinking the same things he was.

She sighed. "That could have gone better."

"I knew Dahlia must have had a thing for Jon but…" But they'd been together, all along, or at least awhile. Long enough that Dahlia had let down the rest of her walls, long enough that it'd killed her when she'd gotten punished for it.

God, it made so much sense. His baby sister  was nursing a broken heart, so of course- of course somebody had come along to take advantage, of course Dahlia had convinced herself it was all her idea, of course.

That's what happens when you walk away from a boy  who'd seen turned backs before, who feared them more than anything else, who'd trusted you with every cell of their body and their heart.

So she'd turned to somebody who was promising her their wrists up in shackles, somebody who was offering Dahlia  the chain.

She was trying to close the gaping wound in her heart by placing a bandaid she mistook for a sewing kit over the deepest of it. It wouldn't work.

She'd get hurt, the kind of hurt somebody didn't come back from, especially if the dupain-chengs  were as shady as he suspected.

Dahlia  had come so far, made so much progress, and he couldn't stomach it if some stupid mistake tore all of that away, if Dahlia became a shell of the girl who'd been such a fiery storm of a beacon.

He wouldn't lose the girl  who pouted when he ruffled her hair, the one who spent her weekends sketching her cat with an unarmed, content smile, who still rushed to hug him every time he came to visit the manor.

So it was up to him to save his sister . He had to stop this wedding, or at least convince Dahlia to.

Starfire drew closer. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking that Dahlia is going to be in paris visiting the in-laws for the rest of the week."

"Mm…" She nodded, and he lifted the arm he'd laid over his eyes as he'd thrown his head back over the headboard of the couch.

She was smiling at him, and god, he loved the way that mischief twinkled in her eyes.

She was gorgeous, unearthly. Doing trapeze may not have made his heart skip a beat anymore but she always would. "An opportune time to do some digging into the family she's promised her hand to." He raised an eyebrow.

she wrapped her arms over his shoulders . He took her waist in his hands, and  he couldn't hide the way he loved her when she giggled and he smiled. "I've been with you too long to not recognize that snooping face of yours when I see it, Dick Grayson."

He chuckled. "Guess not. So," he raised an eyebrow as she pressed her forehead to his, "where do we start?"

779 words .

I am sorry for the lack of manners right now but in the words of ---

Raven : FUCK you dick !
Me:thank you Rachel but please don't break the FOURTH WALL!!!
Raven "Fine but please let me say this
I SWEAR IF  YOU DICK  MEDDLE WITH MY MARDAL SHIP I'LL FUCKING SEND YOU TO HELL!* eyes turning red *
Me : okay Rachel you made your point you can leave now dahlia needs your help Arrevedercci 💍