27| Home is not my home

While his heart pounded loud enough that he felt he could hear it, Adedayo chose to knock instead of unlocking the door himself. Joy opened it. For a minute, they stared at each other and it was like they telepathically shared their emotions. She came closer and gave him a hug.

Kenny and her mother saw their state. Uncomfortably, Kenny was first to look away before his mother-in-law did the same. He was trying his best to remain calm and understanding. Yet, it wasn't easy for him to feel nothing especially when the woman whom he loves and married, keeps clinging on to another man. They had been invited in by Joy to avoid outside prying eyes.

"Good evening, ma." Adedayo greeted Mrs. Irabor respectfully after he walked in with Joy by his side. He could guess she was the mother Kenny had mentioned before.

"Good evening." She accepted his greeting and smiled as well. "How are you?"

He tried his best to smile. "I'm fine, thank you." Next, he exchanged glances with Kenny.

An awkward silence lasted in their midst before Mrs. Irabor broke it. "Thank you for taking care of my daughter during her hard times."

Thank you? Adedayo understood she was being appreciative but whenever he was thanked for caring for Joy, it felt like his love for her was being disregarded.

"You're welcome, ma." He replied, regardless of his thoughts.

She looked up at him. All this while, she hadn't done that. He could understand why she might not want to look at his face. Maybe because of his marriage to her daughter or because whether any of them liked it or not, they were at this uncomfortable point in their lives.

"The two of you should sit down. Let's address the elephant in the room."

Kenny and Mrs. Irabor sat on the double seater couch so Adedayo and Joy were forced to sit on the single ones across from each other. Again, silence existed in their midst and even if all had something to say, none said anything first.

"Adesuwa," Mrs. Irabor started then looked at her daughter. "I understand you don't remember the memories Kenny and I are a part of. But the truth still stands... Kennedy has been your boyfriend since your university days. Four months ago, you said yes to him and he paid your bride price. Had it not been for the sudden accident, by this time, you would have both legally tied the knot."

Joy looked from her mother to Adedayo who had lowered his eyes from them. She watched how he rubbed his hands together. She could tell he was troubled. Joy wasn't sure the right words to use. She wondered if there was a way for her to explain to them that it was all in the past. This... her life with Dayo was her present.

"Adedayo." Mrs. Irabor called and he raised his head but was unable to meet any of their eyes. "We are very grateful for all you've done. But you need to understand... Adesuwa is not your wife. While with you, she lived under a fake name and married you with it. It's not real."

Adedayo uncomfortably shifted in his seat.

"Please don't say that." Joy spoke up and her mother's eyes were back on her. "What Dayo and I have is real... I love him."

Her mother's sigh was loud.

"Adesuwa." Kenny called. All this while, he had held back on forcing anything on her. He needed her to understand it was safe to be around him. He wanted her to understand everything on her own. But what he was unable to ignore was her professing her love for another. "You say that because you can't remember the times we've shared together and how much we love each other."

This time, Joy felt uncomfortable.

"Come home with us. We'll show you more and help you try to remember. After you do, if you still choose this life for yourself then... I'll accept it." He added and although he mentioned that, he was sure their love stood stronger than what she shared with Dayo. The only thing standing in their way were her missing memories.