11| We worry on his behalf.

Okay. Yes. She might have given herself a lot more credit than she should have. Joy was truly finding out that she does act a lot more on impulse. The part about her knowing the path to the akara seller's station wasn't wrong. It only took her a little more time and asking a stranger or two before she found the seller at the junction end of the street. There were three more customers. A young boy, around eight years of age and two teenage girls. Both glanced at her side at once.

As Joy drew closer, the idea of coming down here didn't seem as enticing as it initially was. If anything, it didn't settle with her. The sight of the woman with no gloves or apron, openly frying the beans paste above a large firewood flame felt repelling. Joy was confused. The name of the food does seem familiar but this right here was new to her. Could it be that she had never bought street food? What would that make someone like her? Joy shook her head as if that would rid her of the ridiculous thoughts.

She watched the others before her buy and did the same. It did smell delicious and that made her happy. It was a feeling of achievement. On nearing the gate, she remembered the pap she was supposed to buy. Quick, she turned and hurried to the nearest kiosk that seemed stocked enough to definitely have what she needed.

"Hello." Joy called, to make the average height, round-faced young woman inside, who looked somewhat in her early twenties, realise she was here. "Good morning." She greeted with a warm smile just as the lady stood from her seat and walked up to her.

"Do you sell pap?" Joy asked, and the lady looked at her funny, before nodding. Joy decided to ignore it. She turned away and had only taken a few steps in when she suddenly turned her head back to Joy.

"You're the lady who was with Dayo yesterday, right?"

Her question was surprising. Nevertheless, Joy nodded. There was a smile on the young woman's face, excited with herself for being right. She walked back to Joy without having gotten the pap.

"You're new in this neighbourhood. I haven't seen you before." She said and Joy flashed a brief smile and gave a light nod as she wasn't sure what to say next. She wished the young lady would quietly get her order and she could leave.

"My name is Isoken. I attend the same church as Adedayo. What's your name?"

What's happening right now? Joy wished she could ask that but she held it in.

"Joy."

She sucked in her breath as she repeated the name, "Joy." Her manner made it seem like the knowledge of her name was enough for her to decipher so much.

"Joy, is there something going on between you and Dayo? I noticed you go in through his gate and don't come out. Are you living with him?" The young woman dared to ask and Joy was more than astonished by her daring attitude. Has everyone always been this way? She literally just met this young woman.

"Are you always this chatty with every customer or am I an exception?"

She scoffed, guilt and a ridiculous mixture of amusement wore on her face like a mask. "Ah, no oh, I'm just curious. That's all. I'm pretty close to Dayo and you're new in this life so I worry on his behalf."

Joy smiled. The type that said, that's enough. "I'm fine. He's fine. Can I please have the pap?"

Isoken's expression turned sour, displeased with Joy's refusal to engage her with the needed replies.

Adedayo stared at his reflection in the mirror. He'd been that way since he had his bath and wore the towel around his waist. Dayo wasn't sure why he does this but once in a while, he finds himself staring back at his own reflection. Maybe it was his own way of trying to see if he could figure himself out. Who he was, who he is and who he should be. Everyday was a seeming struggle of trying to maintain this image he'd shown to the world. The issue with it was, he wasn't sure if it was truly his image or a farce. In the end, he lowered his gaze and turned away from the mirror. Adedayo pushed the bathroom door open, stepped out and closed it behind him. He'd taken two steps towards the bedroom when he came to a stop and turned to his head in the left direction.