18| Did you say, mar...?

It wasn't her fault.

It was the fault of his stupid heart which wouldn't simply listen to sense of reasoning from his brain. If it had, his present condition would've been avoided. Adedayo never planned to be cold towards her but it began to seem so.

Joy felt like their relationship had retrogressed back to when they first started living together. This time, he was more distant than before. Each time she asked if he was okay, his reply was the same. I'm fine. But she knew that was a lie. Something was eating him up. Something in regards to her. If only he would tell her then she might rectify her mistakes.

"It's a good thing you don't have any further complications." Dayo told her as they walked away from the hospital premises. He held her scan and test results. According to the Doctor's explanation, nothing heath-wise was wrong with her. He advised her to take a lot of rest and not force herself to remember her past memories.

"It has been a while. Let's see if the police have any new information." He told her and she nodded in understanding. Yes, he still speaks to her and even that was different from the past times. Their conversation felt stricter and he wouldn't meet her eyes even for five minutes.

At the police station, they were faced with a different officer. For a moment, Dayo panicked. On his way here, he expected to hear nothing short of, we've located her family. A part of him just wants to be relieved.

"Can we help you?" The present officer asked. He was shorter and chubbier than the first who'd attended to him.

"Yes. About three weeks ago, we registered a complaint here."

The young man began to flip through the past pages of a long notebook. "Your name?"

"Adedayo Michael."

"What was the complaint about?"

Dayo exchanged glances with Joy. "She lost her memories and can't remember her way home. She needs her family to find her."

The officer looked at Dayo, his eyes redder than normal. He took a look at Joy as well.

"Is there any missing person's case?" Dayo asked, ignoring the man's unusual gazes.

The officer was hesitant before he pointed to the three posters on the wall. Their eyes followed his direction. Joy walked up the poster glued to the wall with the washed-out paint. She looked from the first to the second. Along with a little information, the posters had the images of the missing people and none belonged to her.

Dayo turned back to the officer. "Is that all? Are you sure?"

"That's all. We haven't received a report with her face."

Adedayo rubbed his left temple. "Did any of you go out to ask? They might not be close. If you people would extend your search from beyond your office seats then maybe we would've gotten a lead by now."

"Young man, you better be careful with your words. You're talking to an officer of the law."

Adedayo might not have realised it but Joy could see his chest coming up and down. Even the tone of his voice had changed. Clearly, he was upset. He turned away and walked out of the station. He rubbed the back of his neck, finally aware that his emotions had spiked up. It hadn't been his intention. It was infuriating to think if they could've done their job half as good as they should, everything would have returned to normal. Joy would be home with her family and he would return to the seemly kind of peace he had.

Joy came out of the station to where he stood under a large mango tree. "Are you upset with me?"

Again, Dayo wouldn't look her in the eyes. "I'm not."