5| Let there be no light and there wasn't

"Your friend is gone." Joy stated the obvious and he spared her a quick glance then nodded his head. She watched him for a few seconds.

"Did he tell you anything? Can he really help me?"

Dayo barely scratched the side of his neck. "He'll try his best. Nothing is sure." He replied just as he kept the pot of stew on fire. When he turned, she was in front of him, closer than a few moments ago and her eyes stared directly into his as if she was in search of something within them. Adedayo was surprised so he stared at her a bit wider-eyed than normal.

"Are you okay?" Her question followed and he lowered his eyes from hers, looked anywhere else before sparing her another glace.

"I'm fine." He replied before picking up a spoon to turn the stew on fire.

"Do I make you feel uncomfortable?" She asked, reasoning the fact she didn't think he might have felt strange, having a stranger in his home without any prior planning of any sort.

"No. I'm fine." That was a little white lie of some sort. It was hard to explain. She didn't exactly make him uncomfortable but he sure felt something and it was most probably the feeling of worry, agitation, doubts. Strange negative feelings intertwining at once and being around her made him feel rather guilty. He'd assured her he would help her find her family, her home and now, he has been advised to get rid of her before his intervention spells trouble for him. Yet, how could he? He was the last person who knew how to abandon anyone. It has been done to him all his life and he would much rather not reciprocate that to another person.

Joy looked at Dayo who was seated on the other couch, his plate of food on the center table in front of them. His spoon was in his hands but he'd barely carried five spoons full into his mouth. She returned her gaze to her food in front of her. Joy felt troubled. She shouldn't be but she did. It was wholesomely because she didn't have answers to a lot of things. First, about herself and second, about his sudden moody behaviour. She tried to recall if she said something but all she'd done was ask questions in regards to when she can be out of his hair.

A light sigh left her lips. Her eyes scanned the room once more. "You don't have any pictures." She said and he lifted his eyes to her.

"No, I don't." His reply was calm and straightforward. She expected more, like an explanation but she didn't get any. Joy would love to know more. Anything about him that makes her believe he's as ordinary and normal as she is.

"Perhaps, do you not like taking pictures with your family?"

He was still, a few seconds before his eyes were on her once more. "I don't have a family. I'm an orphan." Adedayo replied before carrying a spoon of rice into his mouth and she couldn't help but stare at him. He seemed unmoved by it. Still, how could he? It was a truth he'd lived with all his life and was in the greatest possibility done reacting to it.

A smile tugged at the side of his lips. "You don't need to look at me like that. I'm fine. I've always been fine." He assured her and that was enough to get her to lower her eyes from him.

That night, on the bed, Joy turned again. She'd been turning and turning. The lights in the room remained on and it would seem sleep eluded her. I'm fine. I've always been fine. His words echoed in her mind. Joy knew he didn't want her feeling any sort of pity for him. Still, there was a lingering feeling of endearment. The hours she'd spent on her own after waking up in the hospital, those were hard and lonely hours. It made her wonder how he could have survived alone all his life. How did he get over the loneliness and the mental pressure of knowing there was no one to call your own?

Joy laid on her side and stared at the closed door but really, her thoughts continued on behest of the person behind it, laid on the couch that did no justice to his height. Yet, Adedayo was going to make do of it. Though his eyes were shut and his arm leaned over his forehead, he was far from asleep. Sarki's words replayed in his mind and he wondered how on earth he was going to do that. He wouldn't be able to get up the next morning and ask her to leave. Where would she go? Who would take her in or help her out without somehow demanding something in return? Worse, she could end up hurt.

The look she had in her eyes when he told her he had no family was fresh in his mind and he really didn't want to recollect that but it so happens, he did. There was a clear empathy within them and he didn't like that. Anything was better than pity. Why should he be pitied? It was in no way his fault that he grew up without having to say the words this person is my family. Perhaps, it was written in his stars that none of those luxuries were ever going to be his and Dayo had somehow made peace with that fact.

"Dayo!" Joy's call got him to open his eyes and that was when he realised the lights had gone out. Darkness was their company.

"Dayo, are you there?" This time, she asked and he replied. "Yes. Yes." Low at first and higher at second as he thought she might not have heard him.

"The light... the light's gone." She mentioned it and he wasn't surprised. It was absurd to believe the power would stay twenty-four hours a day. It was expected at some point or rather an unexpected moment the lights would be gone and he'd lived with that like a custom. He didn't own a generator so he managed whenever the lights were gone.

"I can't see a thing." Joy stated as she began her attempt towards the door, scared of how dark it had gotten. She could only rely on her recollection of the path to the door and her sense of touch. Her steps were slow and steady, dragging her feet along the ground. Little by little, her heart pacing accelerated and somehow, she was reminded of her time in the coma. Pitch dark and she's sinking and sinking. Joy slumped to the ground as she felt her breathing becoming harder for her to perform. What was this? A trauma from the time in the coma or rather something she was unaware of? Either way, Joy wanted it to stop so much that her eyes grew teary, tears ready to roll down her cheeks any moment soon. Deep in her heart, she pleaded for help. Anything and anyone to make it stop.

The door opened and Adedayo stood there, the flashlight from his phone illuminating into the room. He caught sight of her and hurried down to his knees in front of her.

"What happen—"

She flung her arms around his neck, engulfing him in a tight hug. Her face buried into the nape of his neck, her breathing staggered and her sobs were soft. Adedayo stayed frozen, taken aback by her action and at the same time, worried at why she was suddenly this way. He didn't know what to do. Does he comfort her and how does he do that?

His hand behind her hesitated but soon, he tenderly placed it on her back. Dayo had never been thrust into such a situation and he was more than unsure of what to do or say. If anything, he was surprised at how dumbfounded he was anytime she was close. Their first meet was yet to make it twenty-four hours and... this happened.

Maybe it was the flashlight from his phone or rather, his presence but Joy could feel her breathing return to normal. Her sanity was in order once more and she realised she'd wrapped her arms around his neck, not even an inch set them apart. As she steadily raised her head, her eyes rolled from his neck to his chin and their eyes met in the end. For a good while, they stayed like that before she suddenly lowered her eyes and separated herself from him, creating a space between them. For the next few seconds as awkwardness hung in the air, both looked anywhere else but never again into each other's eyes.

"Are you okay?" Adedayo finally broke the silence and her eyes matched his for a moment before she nodded.

"I'm fine." She said as she wiped any possible tear stain under her eyes. Another few moments of quietness passed between them before she spoke again. "I think I'm scared of the dark."

He stared at her even though she didn't stare back in that period. It was clear to him why she'd earlier seemed the way she was. Dayo felt bad. "I'm sorry. I would turn on the generator but I don't have one."

This time, she allowed her eyes to meet his. "It's okay. I know I've taken so much from you already, but... can you please not leave me alone in the dark?" Her voice was low and sincere. Her eyes pleaded for him to give in to her request even though they were riddled with guilt as well. This was Dayo's weakness, his inability to say no to anyone sincerely pleading for his help. Maybe it was an abandonment slash, a desire to feel needed issue, but this was it for him.

"Okay."

Thank you for patiently waiting on this chapter. Pls don't forget, you can vote or comment to show your supports. See you next week!