16| Oh, my church members

Adedayo ran as fast as his legs could carry him. His heart raced, his breathing was faster and abnormal. The sound of the wind was like fast thin whips to his hearing. All he could think of was to escape his chasers. He'd lost his left slipper along the way and with the other alone, he kept going. The night was dark. Some might've retired to bed. The last street light he'd encountered was fifty kilometers back. It didn't help with the narrow road being riddled with tiny stones and white dusty sand. But Dayo didn't have the time to think of all the buts on his way.

"Dayo, stop!" A deep male voice called from behind, running after him. Four others followed.

Finally, Adedayo ran into the tall bushes and hid out of their sight. He covered his mouth with both hands to silence his heavy breathing.

They all came to a halt right about the place he'd disappeared from their sight.

They looked around, their eyes searching for any sign of the path Dayo might've escaped into "Una see am?" The tall and yet lean man threw the question to no one in particular. In his hand, he held a cutlass. His chest went up and down and his sweat trickled down his face. His breathing was loud.

"Ah, shebi I say make we no take am easy for where that boy dey." Another said in bitter regret, clenching tighter to the broken bottle in his hand.

Adedayo made sure he was as silent as a mouse. His sweat trickled down his face and even down his back. All round, he was soaked in his sweat. He tried not to think about what they might do to him once they have him. For now, escaping was a priority.

"No be your fault? Na you talk am say he no fit do nothing. See am? Werey don japa." Another challenged the second who'd spoken.

"Watin that one come mean!?" The second growled as he closed the gap between the two of them. His gaze, treacherous and murder filled.

"Make una stop that one!" The first ordered. "This night, we no go let am escape. Oya, make we dey go." He ran off first and the rest followed.

Adedayo fluttered his eyes open and was met with a pair of Joy's. She reached her hand to his forehead. "Are you okay? You're sweating a lot."

He battered his lashes a few times, unable to say a few words. He knew what he'd undergone wasn't a dream. It was a memory. A memory he didn't wish to ever relive or recall. "I'm fine." Adedayo said as he consciously removed her hand from his forehead and sat up.

"Are you sure?" She asked while she took her seat in the space beside him. Joy placed her hand on the nape of his neck, from the left to the right side in order to figure out his temperature. She failed to notice when his gaze rested on her, unmoving until her eyes met with his. Joy felt sure that something was wrong but Dayo wouldn't say anything. He'd helped her so much and still; she couldn't do the same for him.

"It's okay to tell me the truth... Maybe, I can help you." She told him in a calm voice. Hoping, it would get him to relax and say something to her. His gaze wandered down to her lips, a light shade of nude. Strange thoughts occurred in his head and he gulped down, his good attempt at quenching his new growing desire. He turned his head away from her at the same time.

"I don't need your help because I'm fine." Dayo said and he was on his feet. Joy watched him walk away and into the bathroom. Someday. Hopefully, someday, it'll be different between them.

Adedayo could complain but for his understanding, he believed he was letting her experience as much freedom as she would like. But really, maybe it wasn't so. In the next few days, Joy took it upon herself like a habit to walk him to the outskirts of their street and wave to him while they drove away. What was all that about? She wasn't sure. It felt fun. Fulfilling and she liked doing it so she kept at it. When he got back, she wasn't there to meet him but that was okay because he could get to see her at home and walk side by side with her again tomorrow morning.