17| Our bed

Adedayo sat on the couch, turning his shoulder back and forward, trying to get the pain flowing between his neck and shoulder to come to an ease. For the past few days. The pain only increased and he was well aware of the reason for it.

Joy stood at the entrance into the room and watched him. When she couldn't anymore, she walked up to him without him noticing. Joy rolled her lips in and her hands hung over his shoulder. Without any warning, she laid her hands on his shoulder and before she could squeeze, he startled away and turned immediately to her.

"W-what are you doing?"

She unrolled her lips and locked her hands together, trying her best not to feel embarrassed. "I'm trying to help you."

"You don't need to." His reply was quick as he shifted to the seat right next to him.

Joy was silent. Of course, she'd expected this behaviour from him. Giving up would mean wallowing in her embarrassment. As Joy would figure out, she wasn't the type to throw in the towel easily and for some reason, she was more adamant when it came to Dayo.

"You're in pain because you sleep on the couch. The least I can do is give you a massage." Joy explained as she walked around the couch to his front.

Adedayo shook his head a bit more violently than she'd ever seen him do before. "I'm fine. I can handle myself."

She narrowed her eyes and folded her arms below her chest. "Are you scared of me?"

A cheap scoff left his lips. "No... no, I'm not."

She rubbed under her chin in pretense thinking. "So, you wouldn't mind if I did this?" She reached out in an instant for him but his reflexes were good. He'd jerked off his seat before she knew it.

"See!? You are... you're scared of me touching you."

Again, he shook his head at her words and couldn't stop the amusement from detailing on his face.

"Yes." She nodded, taking a step after the other, closer to him and with each step, he took a counter step back. Again, without any sign, she reached out for him. This time, he caught her hands and their eyes met. The space between them was thin. His eyes wandered from her eyes, the way her long lashes battered, to the line down her nose and to her lips. Adeday involuntarily swallowed down. His heartbeat was fast. He was having those thoughts again. The ones he was trying so hard to avoid bringing it to reality. Joy didn't understand and he didn't think he could ever bring himself to make her understand.

His breathing had deepened. "Yes... Okay?"

Slowly, she smiled. "Two options. Choose one. Option one, you let me give you a massage or option two... we share the same bed starting tonight."

His gaze glazed from one orb to the other of hers. Dayo saw she meant her words.

Joy felt satisfied with herself. She'd handled it like a pro. Surely, Dayo had nowhere to run and he would definitely choose option one.

Joy turned on the bed and squinted her eyes at the sight of Adedayo's back. Who would've thought he would choose option two? She laid on her back and stared at the ceiling. He had to be really scared of her touch to pick the second option. Again, she looked at him. Why, though? Why was he scared of her touch?

Adedayo could feel Joy's eyes on him. He shut his eyes, unable to avoid the frown that surfaced between his brows. Even till this moment, the scene from earlier played like a movie in his head. How easily he'd ended up here. Why wouldn't he let her touch him? Adedayo wasn't sure how strong he could withstand it. This feeling wasn't something he was eager to explore. There were rules. Rules he'd set for himself. Rules that made sense for him alone. Rules that kept him safe and intact. So far, they've done a good job. He wasn't about to compromise everything for a chance to explore something he wasn't sure of.