CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

NOTE: So proud of myself for not taking three weeks to write this chapter. Yay! 

Chapter 36

ZAYN POV

'Did I kill him?' Niall panics, looking at the unconscious man who held a gun to Louis' head just a few minutes ago. Harry, Liam and him just entered the room again after locking the four other men in one of the bedrooms where Evelyn had stayed as well. Louis and I kept an eye on Stefan and his unconscious companion.

'Don't know... I wouldn't mind if you did.' Louis shrugs, making Liam look at him in disgust.

'Well I mind!' Niall raising his brow.

I kneel down next to the man I have never seen before and place my fingers against his throat. The faint beating tells me he's still alive but he probably needs help. And I hope Evelyn is taking care of that right now.

'He's alive. But he needs a doctor.' I say while standing up again, looking at the four boys who somehow managed to do this, while two of them are not even experienced. 'Evelyn is calling the police right now.'

Somehow I manage to lock eyes with Harry. And I don't know why, but something changed when I pronounced the words I just said. Like he didn't expect me to give up my freedom like this. We both know that calling the police will be end game for me.

'Is Stefan alive?' Niall asks it so carefully I wonder why.

'Of course he is.' I mutter, looking at the man who's hands and feet are bound together, waiting for a police officer to lock him up and never see daylight again. 'I barely touched him.'

A scoff from Louis, makes me look up again. 'I wouldn't quite say that, Malik. If I hadn't stopped you, you would've killed the guy.'

'Too bad you couldn't stop yourself from shooting, Harry.' Liam bites at him.

Louis' rolls his eyes dramatically before he snaps his head at the café owner. 'Can someone explain to him why I shot Harry?! I had no fucking choice, Payno. I apologized as well. Didn't I, Harold?'

'My name is not, Harold.'

'That's not the point.'

Their bantering keeps going while I'm still too caught up in what Louis said. If I hadn't stopped you, you would've killed the guy... And suddenly, like my brain completely washed away that period of time, the past few minutes slowly come back to me.

It feels good. It feels so incredibly good to be able to finally do the things I did in my mind for such a long time. It feels good to see him hurt. It feels good to see the sorrow in his eyes. It feels good to know that he wants me to stop and I have all the control to decide if I want to stop... or not.

Every other person would think I'm a monster, but I more think of it as someone who wants justice. Justice for what he did all those years. Ten years to be precise. Ten years of holding me hostage. Ten years of living in a God damn lie. Ten years of him knowing exactly where my family was. Ten years of him preventing every bit of contact with people from outside this crappy life.

And even after all those years he still feels capable to take away the only bit of hope I have. The only bit of light in my life.

It makes me want to punch him again and again and again and I don't find the strength to stop. The only thoughts in my mind are Evelyn, my sisters, Louis, Lucas... All the people he threatened me with. All the people he wanted to cut out of my life by sending them away or by killing them.

And I cannot stop punching him.

Until suddenly arms grab me from behind and use all their force to drag me away from Stefan. And even then I use all the power I have to keep hitting him, like he still hasn't paid enough.