CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

NOTE: This was probably one of the most fun chapters to write. 

Harry POV

‘Oh, come on Evelyn.’ I growl to myself when my phone once again gives me her voicemail. Her apartment complex already comes in vision and I feel the need to calm myself down because I don’t know how I’m going to react finding her there. At this point I’m boiling with anger and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to contain myself when I meet her.

I told her not to go to her God damn apartment, but what does she decide to do after school? I literally cannot follow her way of thinking and I don’t want to either. The only thing I want is for her to realize that if people are actually looking for her, she cannot do things like this.

I wish I saw her text sooner and that I wasn’t in the studio, busy with lyrics, when she texted me she forgot something in her apartment. I wish I would have been able to call her instantly and tell her I would go with her or find another way not to let her go on her own.

But I didn’t see the message until an hour later, and since then she doesn’t seem to pick up her phone and my head doesn’t want to think about what’s the reason for that.

‘It’s here.’ I mumble, handing the taxi driver some money, before I jump out of the car and run into the apartment complex trying to call her for the ninth time. I don’t even bother taking the lift because that’s way too slow, so I go for the stairs, skipping three steps at the time believing it makes me go even faster.

When I reach her door, my heart drops seeing the forced lock, telling me something is very incredibly wrong here. I slowly push open the door, meeting the biggest mess in her little apartment. All the cabinets have been opened, chairs have been pushed over and all the stuff on the kitchen counter has been wiped all over the floor. It almost seems like people deliberately decided to make a mess of this. There is not even a structure in what they did. Why would you bother clashing down bottles of wine when you could rob a place.

The people in here didn’t come for material stuff. They came here for another purpose.

'Evelyn?’ My voice calls the name of my best friend, desperately longing for her to reply back to me, although I know she probably won’t.

I slowly step through the apartment, looking for something that can help me. Looking for a sign of her. But my mind doesn’t even want to work with me.

I run my hand through my hair in desperation and try to think of a logic thing to do, until I suddenly hear a phone go off in the apartment. And it’s definitely not my phone. It’s hers.

The sound comes from under the couch, like it fell on the ground and slipped under there. It’s definitely not hidden, because in no time I’m able to reach it with my hand and read the caller ID.

Zayn.

‘Well have you ever.’ My voices growls at the sight of his name appearing on her screen. For a minute I think about picking up the phone. But then I realize he probably doesn’t even know she’s gone. And he won’t be able to help me either way. I don’t feel the desire to work with him in this. I want to do this my own way and my way is probably calling the police and telling them about Zayn and the whole situation, although I know Evelyn probably will hate me for it. I don’t care. As long as it brings her back to me. I don’t care one single bit.

Suddenly I get startled by voices in the hallway and they come fairly close in the direction of Evelyn’s door. I quickly turn around and decide to hide behind one of the closets in the corner of the room. There is no time to find an actual hiding place other than jumping behind it because the voices fill the apartment in only a couple of seconds.