CHAPTER FIVE

He doesn’t remove his hand covering my mouth. He just stares at me, full of anger and frustration, searching for the words he needs to say. But it takes him a while. I can’t help but wonder if he prepared this, or if it was just an act of the moment. Not thought through.

‘Have you told anyone?’ He growls. I think back of the moment I saw his beautiful warm smile and I can’t help but get confused. This is the same person, but he does not look like it at all.

‘What do you mean?’ I stammer when he loosens his hand on my mouth so I can talk.

‘The cops. Did you tell the cops?’

‘The cops? Tell the cops what?’

This makes him frown.

‘You do know who I am? Don’t you?’ He lets go of me. And it’s probably a mistake, but I’m not the one pointing him on it. I’m too intrigued.

‘I do…’

‘But you didn’t tell the police?’

‘I didn’t.’

‘Did you tell anyone else?’

I waited a couple of seconds.

‘No. Except for my cat but I assume that doesn’t count.’

It’s a weak effort to make him smile again. But I guess he’s not really in the mood anyway.

‘Why?’

‘What why?’

‘Why didn’t you tell anyone?’

He’s confused. He doesn’t understand. And to be fair… I don’t understand myself either. Any other person would go to the police and tell the story. But I just didn’t feel like it being a good thing.

‘I don’t know. But if you’re going to keep threatening me like this, I’ll probably have to do it.’ I add. Horrible thing to say though. You don’t say things like that to a man who once pointed a gun at you and is able to carry that exact gun with him right now. Great move, Evelyn. Great move.

‘I’m not threatening you!’ He disagrees. ‘I’m just asking you.’

‘I know other ways to ask people…’ I mumble. ‘You can for example stop spying on them or stop using so much force while breaking into their house at the same time.’

The smallest smile appears on his face. It’s barely noticeable but I can see it and it lightens my heart.

‘Good tip.’ He nods, straightening his face again. ‘So you are not going to tell anyone?’

I shake my head. ‘Probably not.’

‘Probably?’

‘Yes. Probably. Next time I’m catching you doing it again, I probably will.’

He doesn’t answer or respond. He just looks away and I feel like he’s thinking of going.

‘You’re doing it again, don’t you.’ I state and he doesn’t even look up. ‘You should stop though. I’m the only one crazy enough to not go to the cops. Next time it goes wrong, you go to jail. You do realize that?’

‘I’m going to ask you again… Because I don’t understand. Why are you doing this?’ He blurts out, not even replying to what I said before.

I wait.

Mostly because I don’t know what to say.

‘Because I don’t think you were ever planning on killing me.’ I say eventually

This takes him off guard, but his stern eyes don’t leave mine. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again when he realizes it’s not the best thing to say.

‘I wasn’t planning on it either.’ He eventually mumbles.

‘The yelling dude would though. He would’ve pulled the trigger.’

He slowly nods, eyes never leaving mine.  

‘But you didn’t let him. You defended me in a way.’

He keeps quiet.

‘So that makes me not wanting to go to the police. Because next time you are planning on doing something like that again, maybe he will kill someone if you’re not there.’

He frowns now.

‘I’m not the one deciding if he pulls the trigger. If he wants to shoot. He’ll shoot. You were just lucky.’

‘Well… I prefer thinking it was because of you.’

‘It was… Partly.’

I smile.

‘Thank you.’

Did I really just say thank you? I really just thanked a dude who stole my money and had the nerve to point a gun at me. I’m turning crazy. I definitely am.

‘That’s the last thing you should do… Thank me.’ He mumbles.

‘I know. But I did… So yeah… There you go.’ I mutter, leaving his eyes, staring at the ground.

He doesn’t leave a long pause before he decides to speak. ‘I’m going. I’m sorry for – for the breaking in thing. I just wanted to know what your plans were.’

‘Because you need to be prepared?’

‘Something like that… yes.’

I nod, making an uncomfortable silence.

‘Can I – can I pass?’ He says again, making me realize I’m blocking the door for him.

‘Oh, yeah. Of – of course. Sorry.’

‘Don’t be.’

‘Okay.’

I move sideways and he walks past me, opening the door and closing it without looking back. And I stay behind, realizing what just had happened. Not able to process it immediately.

The one thing I noticed, and he probably thought I didn’t notice it, but I did, was that he never thanked me for not going to the police. He didn’t thank me for not telling anyone. And it only made me wonder if it was something he secretly hoped for. Maybe he hoped I told someone. Maybe he hoped I warned the police, because the situation for him right now is a lot worse than being arrested. 

Stealing Hearts (Zayn Malik Fanfiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें