Grab the wheel

"So, why'd you decide to join me up here?" Revel asks as he begins driving again

"I just can't be back there. Thanks for getting me this phone."

"No problem. Wanna know a funny story?" He asks me and I nod. "Sure."

"When I was 10 I was hanging out with my sister, who was 7 at the time. We were outside and I challenged her to a race. There was this giant hill behind our house and we ran to that hill.Instead of running down the hill, we had to roll down hill. The only problem? We were both allergic to grass. When we reached the bottom of the hill we were both itching and already had scratch marks all over us." He smiles.

"We had to run up the hill, which took a lot longer since we were itching so bad, and when we got back home we jumped into our pool. It was still itchy but the water made it a little better. We were both covered in red bumps and were miserable. We laughed at each other even though we were both suffering. Gosh, I miss her." He laughs. Actually laughs. Not a chuckle or fake laugh, but a laugh.

"I had something similar happen to me." I started.

"My sister and I were sledding down a hill that was in our neighborhood. The sled went in the wrong direction and we slammed into a creek. We got absolutely soaked and there was this fertilizer in the creek from one of the houses near it. We're both allergic. We had to run all the way home and our parents were yelling at us when they saw us. We took three showers that day until we finally felt a little better. We explained everything to our parents and they laughed, shaking their heads. I was 10 and Isabella was 11, about to turn 12." The memory makes me laugh too. An actual real laugh. Now we're both laughing.

"Where's your sister?" I ask him, hoping she isn't dead.

"She's up south, with her friends for college." He says, pride for his sister in his voice.

"What's she in college for?" I ask him.

"Psychology." He says and I'm about to say something when suddenly he curses.

He slams on the gas and we start flying through the road.

He jerks the car to the left and my head slams against the window.

"Shit!" He calls as bullets start hitting the car.

He grabs a gun from his waist band and rolls down the window.

"Grab the wheel!"

My eyes widen. "What?!"

"Eliza, grab the fucking wheel!" He screams at me.

When I grab the wheel he cocks the gun and looks out the window.

He starts shooting and others are shooting back. I hear a crack and see a bullet stuck in the front window.

He curses when his gun runs out of bullets and throws it behind him.

It lands in my lap.

He grabs another gun and starts shooting again.

The barrel of the gun is hot and burns my leg. I can't move it however because I have the wheel.

I try kicking my legs but then the car jerks again and the gun presses the barrel right against my right leg, making it burn more.

"Keep it still, Eliza!" Revel calls.

"I'm trying!" I shout.

I can feel my leg burning but finally the other car runs out of bullets and starts driving faster, trying to pass us.

Revel grabs the wheel and I immediately remove the gun from my leg.

I can see a circle the size of the barrel burned into my skin.

The car try's to crash into ours once more and my head slams against the window for the second time.

Three words: That. Shit. Hurts.

I pass out
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Shit." I whisper and touch my hand to my head as I wake up.

Everything is blurry right now but I can see the blood on my hand when I remove it from my head.

Things start to clear up and I look over to Revel.

But he's not here.

Collin is driving now. He's glances to me and gives me a small smile.

I groan. "Not you."

He laughs. Genuinely.

"All of that shit happened and you're upset about me sitting next to you?" He asks playfully.

"Yep." I say and sit up completely.

"Here." He puts an ice pack on my lap but that's when I realize there's already one on my leg.

It's covering the burn on my leg.

I take the ice and put it to my head. It hurts like hell.

I usually don't cuss because there's a kid at home but apparently I don't care anymore.

"Where's my phone?" I ask and his smile drops slowly.

"I uh- you don't get it anymore." He states and I snap my head to his.

"What?!" He keeps looking out the window.

"Why?!" I ask, confused. What'd I do?

"Eliza, don't question me. I make the decisions, remember?"

Whys he such a dick?

"What did I do?!" I ask, exasperated.

"Eliza, stop it." He's getting angry now.

But so am I.

"No! What the hell did I do?! You just gave it to me earlier!" I'm really pissing him off. Good.

"Eliza, shut up right now or I will kill you." Whys he in such a bad mood?

My anger is making me say stupid things. I question him again. "No! What did I freaking do?!"

He reaches over and grabs the ice pack from my head and throws it out the window. He rips the other ice pack off my leg and throws that one out the window too.

I can feel the nice cold leaving and being replaced by burning and a headache.

"What the he-"

he glares at me and says in a very deadly voice. "Keep talking. I dare you."

Suddenly my confidence is gone. I shrink into myself and look out the window.

I hear him curse softly under his breath. He's probably happy I finally shut up.

I don't know where we're going but I hope we get there soon.

I don't want to be around him any longer than I have too.

How the hell did my life go so wrong?