Worth getting to know

The tv is on and I'm staring at a paused screen

The tv is on and I'm staring at a paused screen. There was an add on the tv.

A missing persons add.

My face appears in the big screen, my name and all the details about me surrounding the photo of me.

There's two others photos. One with me and my sisters. There's even one with my brother. I shudder.

My eyes are locked in on my family members and I'm trying to stay calm.

Collin walks in and comes over to the couch, looking at me before looking at the tv.

He sits down next to me. "Tell me about yourself."

His suggestion leaves me dumbstruck.

"What?" It's barely audible but he repeats his words.

"Tell me about yourself."

"Why?"

"Just do it. Then I'll tell you about me."

It takes me a while to think but then I clear my throat.

"Um, I have sisters."

"No, give me actual details."

"I don't know, okay?" I say.

"I- I like painting. I've always wanted to see a city. I graduated early and had a few years of medical training. I take- took car of my sister while my other sister was at work." I begin ranting.

"I made the horrible decision to be kind and get some food for my sister who had a long day at work."

I stare at him, feeling anger boiling in me.

"I was stupid enough to try and do something nice. I was stupid enough to park in an alley I've parked in a hundred times before. I was stupid enough to think I was safe in that alley. I was stupid enough to try and pick up the food I stupidly dropped." I begin to yell.

"I was stupid enough not to drive off when some asshole put a gun to my head!" I finish.

He stares at me blankly but says nothing.

Instead, he just changed the subject. "Paintings cool. I like the job I do. I like money."

"Why am I not surprised?" He rolls his eyes at me.

"My sister was out of town but she gets back in a few hours. I think you two will get along."

I shake my head. "If she's anything like her brother, I doubt that."

"Whatever. Theo and I are going on a quick job. We'll be back a few hours after my sister gets here."

"Just you and Theo?" He nods.

"Revel will keep you company."

Well shit.

"I'd prefer if he didn't."