Chapter 40

We make our way through most of the rides we wanted to go on by 2 in the afternoon. All day, josh has been packing on the PDA. Not any full blow make outs or anything, but his arm has been constantly draped over my shoulders or around my waist. While it feels nice to know we are officially public, I can't help but worry about what others are thinking. People around us have sure noticed we are closer than usual, with josh leaning into me and whispering things, making me laugh. The rest of the group seems fine with it, but I've seen some random people waiting in line with us snap a few pictures, which makes me nervous.

Josh, Julia, Frankie, Matt, and I are sitting at a table eating a late lunch while the others go on more rides.

"Anything else you guys want to do?" I ask.

"I could do the incredicoaster again." Frankie says, looking around the group for approval.

"I'm down," Matt replies.

"Oh we have to go on goofys fly school!" Julia exclaims, clearly excited.

I laugh. "Yeah that one's a great one." I tell her.

I look at josh and he's nodding. "I can't believe I almost forgot that one. It's a classic!"

He smiles at me and my heart skips a beat. His phone buzzes and he looks down at it, which immediately causes his smile to fade.

"You ok?" I ask under my breath, not wanting the others to hear.

He looks up at me from his phone and nods once, plastering a tight smile on his face. "Yeah, I'm good. I'm just going to head to the bathroom real fast."

"Ok." I say, unlinking my hand from his, which were hiding under the table. All of a sudden, my hang feels empty without his.

He gets up and walks to one of the many bathrooms and the rest of us make a game plan.

10 minutes go by and we're still waiting for josh when I get a text.

"Not feeling great, going to head back to the hotel."

It's from josh.

"Sorry you don't feel good. Do you need anything?" I respond.

"No, I'll text you later."

I put my phone away, slightly sad he left without saying goodbye.

"Josh went back to the hotel, he isn't feeling well."

A wave of "oh that's too bad," and "that sucks" rolls though the group.

"Ready for goofys?" I ask, trying to get over my disappointment quickly.

"Heck yes!" Julia shouts and we all walk in the direction of the ride.

***

I get off another ride and check my phone, hoping to see a message from josh. I've texted him a few times since he left 4 hours ago and he hasn't responded once. Maybe he's just sleeping.

We call it an early night, since everyone's exhausted from the last couple of days. By 8, we're all back at the hotel, heading to our rooms. I go up with Matt to his room, just to check on josh.

Matt opens the door and I peek in, only seeing a lump on Josh's bed.

"I'll check on him later," I whisper to Matt, not wanting to wake joshua. He nods then goes inside, shutting the door quietly.

I get read my for bed slowly, the lack of sleep finally getting to me, then collapse into bed. I'm out as soon as I hit the pillows.

***

The next morning, I put a sundress on over my swimsuit and dawn a pair of sunglasses for the beach. Our group gets there earlier in the day to get a good spot. Most everyone sits on the beach while a few, such as Dara and josh, go straight into the ocean.

I sit on my towel and watch josh dive into a wave. He seems much better this morning, but we haven't talked at all. He was late coming down to breakfast and rode with Matt here, while I rode with Julia.

I smile as josh wipes the ocean water from his face. I definitely stare a bit too long at the water glistening off of his abs, but who cares? We're together, it's perfectly acceptable if I stare and marvel at one of gods greatest creations.

I focus my attention to the book I brought with me and open it to the first page. I'm determined to read most of it by today, if not all of it.

After an hour or so, josh comes back to shore, but instead of coming to sit by me, he takes the seat next to Sofia and Frankie.

Maybe he just wants to sit in a chair instead of on a towel. I need to stop worrying so much about where we stand, because for the first time in what feels like forever, I actually feel confident in our relationship and where we stand.

We all talk and laugh at the beach for another hour. Pretty soon, it's lunch time. We go to a restaurant right on the beach and eat there, enjoying the ocean and the fact we aren't walking miles in a crowded amusement park.

Our group is too big, so we have to split into two. I catch joshs eye, about to motion to come to the table k was sitting at, but before I can, he looks away and sits at a table. The table without me. Hurt flashes on my face but I quickly cover it up. Why was he ignoring me today?

Yesterday, he was being so sweet with me, not caring who saw. But today, he won't even sit next to me. Heck, he won't even talk to me.

I eat my meal in silence, only answering questions that are directed specifically at me.

After lunch, we all head back to the beach. Josh still won't look at me, so I decide to have a fun day without him. I don't need to stress about why he's being so distant all of a sudden, I can ask him later. I know for a fact he won't tell me while there are so many people around.

Frankie and I boogie board for a good hour, after I finally convinced him to get in the ocean water. He said it was gross and full of fish pee, but I reminded him that salt water is good for the skin, so he eventually got in.

After being in the sun all day, we eventually go back to the hotel. Everyone heads back tomorrow, most of them going on a flight at 8am. On the other hand, my plane leaves at 10, so I'll leave alittle later than the rest.

But since everyone has to get up early, we go back to the hotel to turn in early and pack up.

At 8, everyone's in their rooms, including josh.

"Hey, you ok?" I text josh.

He starts typing then the bubble disappears.

I frown at my phone.

I know he read my text, so I shoot him one more.

"I'll be down at the ocean if you want to join."

There was a small secluded beach that was part of the hotel, which we didn't learn about until after our long day at a crowded  section of the beach.

At least I could use it now. I wasn't super tired like the rest of the group, probably because I was too anxious about what was going through joshs mind.

Was he regretting bringing me here? Regretting starting something back up with me?

These questions plagued me as I walked down to the beach.

Once on the sand, I take off my sundress and walk into the ocean, the cool water feeling refreshing on my sunburned skin.

I just stand there in the waves for a while until I hear someone else enter the ocean.

I don't have to turn around to see who it is because as soon as he's near me, he speaks.

"Katie, we need to talk."

*********************************
Ahhh we're nearing the end kind of!!

Thx for reading!

-kb