Chapter 27

I trust people easily. I've always known this about myself. It's allowed me to make friends and create relationships, so I've considered it an advantage... until now.

I quickly skim the article that's titled "A Rekindled Love? Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter Spotted on Date Night, Grabbing a Bite to Eat,".

I read the article, the words blurred by my tears, but I'm so shocked I can't comprehend what the article is saying. I move on from the words and instead focus on the pictures included in the article.

There are multiple of the two of them laughing while sitting very close and leaning over a shared plate of food. Seeing those pictures hurt, but the last one made me stop breathing for a second.

The final picture is of Joshua helping Sabrina into the passenger seat of his car, by placing his hand on her lower back and her looking longingly into his eyes with a smile.

I stand up quickly, my chair being pushed back in the process, emitting a screech that makes a few people turn and stare at me.

"Katie, are you o-" before Hannah begins.

Before she can finish I interrupt, "I'm fine. I'll be right back."

I speedily walk out of the classroom, not bothering to even ask to leave.

Once I'm outside of the classroom, I lean against the wall and take a few steadying breaths.

In.

Out.

In.

Out

After a couple more repetitions of this, I pull out my phone. Despite my better judgement I open Google and search "Joshua bassett Sabrina carpenter" and click the first result that comes up. It's not the same one Hannah showed me, but it was similar.

A single o falls on my cheek, prompting me to brush it away quickly. It's fine. Everything's fine. I decide I'm just going to go through the day like nothing happened.

I walk back in the class, ignoring the stares I get from the people in my class and sit down.

The sick feeling in my stomach hasn't one away at all, but rather has gotten worse. I was wrong. I can't do this.

I pack up my things and head to the front of the class.

"Mrs. Roberts., I'm not feeling well. Can I go to the nurse?" I ask.

"Of course," she says, starting to write me a pass. This is what I like about Mrs. Roberts. She doesn't ask questions.

As she writes the pass, I look around the classroom, desperate to focus on anything other than the feeling I was currently experience. I make eye contact with Hannah but the sympathy in her eyes is too much and I have to look away.

My eye catches Noah's and he gives me a small smile. I weakly smile back, grateful the distraction and that he's such a nice guy.

"Here you go, hun. Let me know if you need anything." Mrs. Roberts says, handing me a pink slip of paper indicating that I was going to the nurse.

I nod and leave the classroom, desperate to get out. Instead of going to the nurses office, I head straight to the parking lot and get in my car.

Once inside I let out a breath and my eye begin to fill again. I shake my head once and turn on the car. I can't loose it here. I have to wait till I get home. I take a shaky breath and drive out the parking lot.

Although I told myself I would wait, as soon as I'm down the street I start to cry. It's not big, jarring sobs like I expected, but rather slow tears leaking out of my eyes.

I wipe at my eyes and try to reason with myself.

There's no reason to jump to things right? Josh wouldn't do that. He wouldn't cheat. Sure the pictures are suspicious but there's an explanation I'm sure.

But... he did lie to me. He light straight to my face. He told me he was going out with Sasha and Aiden. That's what is bothering me.

More tears begin to stream down my face as I pull into my driveway, I clicking my seatbelt before the car is even in park.

No one's home right now, as my moms taking my younger siblings to school and my dads at work.

I lug myself into the house and go to my room, desperate to find some comfort in my bed. Once I reach my room, I change into pajamas and lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. No more tears make an appearance which I am thankful for.

I lay on my back and stare up, trying to understand why Josh would lie to me. Was he embarrassed by me? He seems to never want to tell anyone about us. Does he still have feelings for Sabrina? What happened after she got in his car?

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I wake up to my phone ringing. I check it and see Josh's contact. Instinctively I reach over and almost click answer, but then remember what I just found out only hours ago. Instead of answering I watch my phone ring with the profile picture of Josh that I took when he wasn't looking.

After a few seconds of it ringing, my phone stops. I sigh and def it back on my nightstand. It lights up a minute later with an alert that I have a new voicemail.

Against my better judgement I click play.

"Katie, I'm sure you've seen it by now, but I want to assure you, Sabrina and I just went out to dinner as friends. I would never hurt you Katie. The press got it wrong and I hope you know that. Please call me back baby."

My heart begins to ache at his words and I clutch the phone to my chest, not wanting to let go. I get a few text messages from him, as well as one from Hannah asking if I was alright. Was I?

I pull the covers over my head, enveloping me in darkness, and click play on the voicemail again.

20 minutes later I get out of bed and go to the kitchen, dehydrated from the tears I've spilled. My mom still isn't home so I don't have to explain to her why I'm not at school yet. I look at the clock and see it's noon. Maybe I could go back to school for my last 2 classes and try to get my mind off of joshua. I haven't called him back, but I really want to

I go back to my room after getting water and grab my phone. I take a breath and hit dial, then wait for Josh to pick up.

*************************

It's a short chapter but I promise the next ones will be longer
Hope you're liking the story!
Don't forget to comment, vote, and share  :)

-kb