CHAPTER 25 - Only Wanna Be With You

"He's so adorable." I mumbled, tangled up in thoughts of Zach.

"What, sweetie?" one of the football moms asked with concern as we stood in the ticket booth at the front gate of the Meadow Wood football stadium.

"Oh, nothing." I cleared my throat. "I think we might be running low on programs. Why don't I go get some from the storage closet in the snack bar?" I was itching to get a glimpse of Zach in his football uniform.

"On those crutches? Are you sure?" she asked.

"Positive. I can put weight on my foot if I need to. I got my cast off two days ago."

"All righty, then." She reached into her apron and pulled out three twenty-dollar bills. "Get some smaller bills while you're at it."

"Yes, ma'am." I grabbed the money and put it in my coat pocket.

I hobbled out into the twilight. It was October 27th, six weeks since the "fall heard round the world" and one day before the fall semi-formal dance. The crisp autumn air had a biting coolness at dusk, like Jack Frost was on the outskirts of town biding his time. Since cheering was out of the question, Coach Roberts ordered me to help out the football booster club moms at the ticket booth and the bake sale at every home game. I cheerfully complied, but it was excruciating being away from Zach on the sidelines.

As I approached the fence near the end zone to try to sneak peek at him, I glanced up at the packed home stands. It was a sea of black and red, with hordes of people standing near the fence bobbing in time to an obnoxious techno beat which sounded more like something you'd hear at a square dance than at a football game. I studied the sideline for Zach. I didn't see him, so I slowly crept around the fence line like a stalker until I was in front of the home stands.

The cheerleaders danced arm in arm around each other, holding their skirts out like country girls at a hoedown. Bernie's auburn curls bounced as she bobbed her head and smiled. She looked gorgeous and as intimidating as ever in her skimpy uniform with a modest white turtleneck underneath. And, Katelyn was even worse. Blonde, with a healthy glow—probably from a tanning bed—long, lean legs and an ample chest. She was a little like a Barbie doll. Fake. Plastic. Perfect.

Looking beyond the varsity cheerleaders, I spotted Zach sitting on the bench, pushing his hair off his forehead. He was overdue for a trim, and his messy ash brown hair covered the top of his ears. I slumped down on my crutches, put my hands in my coat pockets and stared. I shut out the world and its noise for a little while, indulging in a bad habit.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. I spun around.

"Hey, troublemaker."

"Jordan! Sam! What are you guys doing here? Aren't you supposed to be with the band?" I asked.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go." Sam looked spiffy in her red and black marching band uniform.

"Are you guys going or coming?"

"Going. And trying to get away from this horrible music." Jordan rolled her eyes under the small visor of her cylindrical marching band hat.

"Come on, I'm starved." With a tug on the sleeve of her uniform, Sam pulled Jordan toward the building which housed the restrooms and concession stand. She turned to me. "I didn't have time to eat dinner between rehearsal for the musical and the game. Opening night is next weekend."