CHAPTER 26 - Good

"You look beautiful, Rose." Ryan smiled.

I limped down the stairs of our townhouse feeling like I walked out of the pages of Sassy magazine's special prom issue. Gloria insisted on buying a scarlet sheath dress with a sweetheart neckline and spaghetti straps that crossed in the back. When she saw it on the hanger at the department store, she grabbed it, held it to her chest and said, "This is the one."

I humored her and tried it on, but when I looked in the mirror I knew she was right. The plain, pudgy child was gone. Sure the pale skin, freckles and high, rounded cheeks remained, but the young woman in the mirror had glossy dark hair, sparkling eyes and soft curves. I ran my hand down the silky fabric at my sides. Turning around, I studied my plump rear end and the slit on the right side of the gown that went all the way up my lower thigh.

Can I pull this off? I bit my lower lip and thought of Zach Ashburn. Yes, I have to get his attention. Or at least try.

Two days later—and two hours of being at the mercy of all the contraptions and potions in Gloria's bathroom cabinet—I was all dolled up and looking like a wannabe cover girl. Except for the black ankle brace and flat satin dress shoes Gloria asked the Payless shoe store clerk to dye to match my dress.

    "Careful," she said, reaching out to offer support. "You are really going to have to take it easy tonight. You've only been out of your cast for three days and the doctor said not to be on your feet too long until your muscles are stronger. "

    "I know," I said, rolling my eyes through the painful pins and needles sensation on the sole of my foot. "Don't worry."

    The doorbell rang and Ryan sprang onto his tip toes and rubbed his hands together gleefully.

    "I'll get it," he said.

    I rolled my eyes. He was still infatuated with Bernie, even after her mistake put me in a cast. Ryan combed his fingers through his dark blonde waves and opened the front door.

"Hello, ladies," he said and leaned against the door, striking a casual pose.

Bernie pushed right past him. "Hi, Rosy."

She stood before me in all of her glory, stirring up a mix of pure intimidation and utter admiration. Bernie looked as polished and poised as a Miss America contestant with her usually curly auburn hair worn sleek and straight in a center part, shoulders pressed back and a confident smile. Her long, black gown with a white, beaded halter top oozed sophistication. Jet-black pantyhose and black patent leather kitten heels poked out beneath the hem. Very stylish.

Katelyn's platinum blonde hair hung down in barrel curls, just above her shoulders. The top of her cream colored dress looked like a menswear vest, but in a feminine brocade fabric. The off-white skirt had pleats and flared out in an A-line shape down to her lean legs covered in off-white pantyhose and matching pumps. I had a vision of Marilyn Monroe in the classic movie The Seven Year Itch standing seductively on a subway grate as the air billowed up through her dress. I suddenly realized what Zach saw in her.

Katelyn held a corsage in a plastic container. She handed it to me. "It's a yellow rose," she said. "For friendship."

Gloria reached out and took it. "Well, bless your heart. Rose, let's put this on you." She strapped the corsage to my wrist and beamed.

"Rosy, you look so pretty!" Bernie said and threw her arms around me in a tight embrace.

It was totally surreal. She turned to my parents.