CHAPTER 40 - Just a Girl

Gloria's wise words stayed with me that week at school, and all Saturday afternoon as I sat next to Courtney at a new salon in the Meadow Wood shopping plaza getting glammed up for the prom. A chatty man gave me a flawless French manicure while a quiet woman concentrated on pulling back my dark chocolate tresses into a fancy French twist updo. I was so thankful for their careful attention when I looked in the mirror. Getting ready for the prom felt like some kind of a ritual. A rite of passage for the American teenage girl.

The salon was packed with other girls from Meadow Wood High, including Katelyn Powers. She sat just a few seats away, getting her platinum locks twisted back into a half-up, half-down style. Instead of the usual fear which made me cower like an abused dog, I looked over at her like a queen from her throne, sitting up tall and smiling triumphantly.

Courtney leaned over. "I bet the jealousy is just eating her up inside. Look at her."

"Yeah, totally," I said.

Katelyn sat reading Cosmopolitan magazine. The cover read "50 Ways to Please Your Man." I wondered if I should be reading an article like that. Just to study up. Gloria mentioned that Zach had been around the block a few times. I had this instant realization of what she meant. That familiar feeling of self-doubt washed over me. I had big shoes to fill and felt compelled to outdo Katelyn in every way.

"You know," I learned over and whispered to Courtney, "Jordan said Zach's been with Katelyn for a year. I've never even had a boyfriend. Is there another issue of Cosmo around her somewhere? I feel like I need some pointers."

Courtney laughed as her stylist pinned back her rose gold hair into a perfect high bun.

"Don't worry. He'll show you the ropes. Guys probably live for stuff like that. You know, corrupting the innocent." She winked, looking like a fashion model.

"You look like a million bucks," I told her.

"You, too! Just wait until we do our makeup and get our dresses on. Leo and Zach are going to be so impressed."

When we walked up to the cash register, the total rang up for over one hundred dollars for my hair and nails. Luckily, Gloria gave me five twenty-dollar bills fresh from the ATM, which was just enough for a tip. I felt a little bad about spending my parents' hard-earned money, but this night was worth it. I was itching to get home and get dolled up for Zach. I reached into my purse for my keys and came up empty handed.

"Oh, crap," I groaned. "I can't find my keys. I hope I didn't lock them in the car."

We ran to the Firebird and there, in the ignition, my keychain dangled just out of reach. "I can't believe this!"

"Just run inside the salon and ask to use the phone. Your mom or dad can come help. They've got to have a spare or something."

"My dad's at a trade show in Vegas and my mom's not home from my brother's baseball game yet," I panicked and glanced at my watch. "Zach and Leo are going to meet us at my house in an hour and a half. We still need to do our makeup and get dressed."

"I'll call my mom," Courtney said and bolted into the salon.

I waited by the car in my denim skirt and button up sleeveless shirt. An older man with salt and pepper gray hair and a limp walked out of the convenience store next door to the salon, looked me up and down, and whistled. I felt dirty all over. He climbed into his BMW sedan and drove away. Moments later, a truck filled with construction workers rolled through the parking lot. The passengers cat-called and the driver honked and made kissing face at me. I wanted to crawl inside the safety of my car and speed away from these disgusting men, but I was stuck.