CHAPTER 11 - Misery

After losing my temper at practice, I jog across the scorched parking lot to flag down Michelle. Although she has it coming, making fun of her fuller figure and tiny athletic shorts was a terrible mistake. If I don't make it right, I won't be able to rest tonight. My mind will go around in circles like it always does and I'm already wracked with guilt.

"Excuse me," I say as she stands next to a glistening, blue two-door coupe with fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror and  the vanity license plate BUTRFLY.

Michelle stops rifling through a shiny red duffle bag and looks up, pressing her tongue to her cheek. "Yeah?"

"I didn't like how you guys talked about me today, but it's no excuse for what I said. I hope you can accept my apology."

"You're apologizing to me?" Her eyes bulge in surprise.

I nod and wring my hands. "I really don't want to start things off this way. I feel bad about what happened and I want a fresh start."

"That's classy of you." Michelle smacks her gum. "I can accept your apology, but I don't know if Bethany and Katelyn will forgive you so easily. They're like crocodiles. Once they sink their teeth in, they don't let go."

"Will you put in a good word for me?" I bite my lip and hope for the best.

"I'll talk to them, but it would be better if you came along. Bethany is on duty tonight at the pool. She's heading there now and I am going to pop in and visit her after I grab some fast food. Why don't you stop by? We can have a chat."

"Now?" I gulp down my fear.

"In a half hour."

"Um—well, I, uh—" Hurry, think up a good excuse. "My mom is going to take me shopping for school clothes tonight."

"Well, can't you go some other time? If you leave things this way with Bethany, you'll be sorry."

"Okay." I hope she is exaggerating. "I'll be there."

When I turn to walk away, Michelle yells, "Catch!" and tosses a skinny object in a plastic wrapper through the air.

I catch it and scrunch up my nose. "What's this?"

"A tampon." She winks at me and I want to disappear.

"Oh, yeah. Thanks." My hands fumble and almost drop the damn thing as I stuff it into my duffle bag while jogging across the parking lot. I duck into Gloria's car and give a nod to Ryan in the back seat.

"So? How did it go today?" My mom eyes me curiously as she pulls away from the curb.

I shrug, reach for the radio dial, and turn it until the soothing sound of alternative music fills the air. It's the Soul Asylum, one of my favorite bands, but today I don't want to sing along.

"Did anyone give you crap today, Rosie?" Ryan leans between the front seats.

"Language, young man," Gloria warns in her 'I mean business' voice.

"Sorry, Mom."

I sigh, wondering if the entire story was worth repeating.

Ryan nods. We are on the same wavelength. "Tell me you didn't just take it."

"Oh, I didn't, and now I'm sorry,." I shake my head and stare at my hands.

"Sorry?" Ryan's voice strikes a serious tone.