CHAPTER 20 - I Can Love You Like That

When we arrive back at school after the game, I drop a quarter into the slot of a payphone and punch the seven-digit phone number into the pristine keypad. Usually, I hold the mouthpiece of a public phone about six inches away from my head because it smells like a putrid mix of sweat and halitosis, but in this case, the wad of bubble gum dangling from the brand new earpiece has the same effect.

Expecting to hear the familiar ringing and Gloria's angelic voice, I frown when angry, beeping noise pulses in my ears. I press down on the metal hook switch to disconnect and try again. The busy signal blasting out is as annoying as my alarm clock. I hang up the pay phone and look around the Meadow Wood parking lot hoping someone can give me a ride home. All of my teammates drove off minutes ago with their car stereos blaring. On the bus, they planned a sleepover at Katelyn's house. No one invited me, of course.

Now, I stand at the pay phone next to the flagpole looking up at the starry September sky. I spot the Pleiades constellation, the first one Grandma Jo taught me to find in the night sky during those humid Oklahoma summers. I reach up for my necklace and am struck with the realization it really is gone for good. My lucky charm never did turn up at the pool and it certainly was not inside Ryan's backpack. It's disappointing, to say the least.

I turn to see Coach Roberts behind the wheel of a brown Oldsmobile with the engine idling in the first row of the empty parking lot. Robert's headlights flip on and she pulls up to the curb in front of the school and rolls down the passenger window. "Are your parents coming?"

"The line was busy." I cross my arms at my chest.

"Maybe they left the phone off the hook?"

"Probably." I kick at a rock on the ground, hoping Coach will let me try again in a few minutes.

"It's past eleven o'clock. Why don't I give you a ride home?" Roberts asks, but I know it really isn't up to me.

I begin to gather up my bulky backpack and duffle bag, but something catches my eye. A tall, male figure wearing a white t-shirt and jeans appears around the corner of the school building. To my utter wonder and disbelief, he emerges from the darkness right on cue, stopping in the golden light of a streetlamp. The sight of Zach Ashburn bathes me in warmth. 

"Hey," he calls out with a wave of his free hand.

"Hi." I wave back.

Zach looks at Coach Robert's car, then back at me. "Do you need a ride home?"

"Yes, I do." My mouth hangs open in wonder at the synchronicity of this moment. I pick up my bags and turn to Coach Roberts. "Thanks for offering, Coach, but I'll catch a ride with Zach."

"Okay." She chuckles and waves at Zach. "Make sure you take her straight home."

"Yes, Ma'am." He nods and waves as Roberts drives off.

"Thanks." I take a step toward Zach.

"Let me help you." He reaches out and takes my duffle bag in his free hand. His knuckles brush against mine.

Only one vehicle sits in the parking lot ahead of us, a newer white Ford F150 truck. It's parked in the last row facing the chain link fence separating the main parking lot from the baseball field. We walk toward it, our footsteps the only sound.

Zach gazes at the sky. "Nice night."

"Yeah, you can see so many stars tonight."  It is obvious the heavens above conspired to bring us together at this moment.