Chapter 25

"FINALLY," LADY DIANA BUXTON let out for the fourth time since the hour she had found out. Her husband had been successful in arranging for transport in the time he had proposed. He had always been a man of his word, and Lady Buxton had equally been a lady of her own attributes. 

Lady Aramina Embry smiled, aiding a maid in helping her put on her attire for the departure. The two ladies sat, or rather prepared, to leave together, bustling about in the guestroom Aramina was staying in at Berkshire. 

There wasn't much luggage to haul onto the sledge along with the travellers of course, aside from Lady Buxton's attires to cover her for a few days at Berkshire, and a trunk full of gifts she had generously given to Aramina as a token of their newly formed friendship. The token in particular, consisting of a handful of dresses and jewellery the lady of the house had declared the height of fashion in Portsmouth high society. 

"I take it that Philip and his grandmother are to be accompanying us?" Diana Buxton spoke after a while, curiously watching her new friend's back stiffen slightly at the mention of the man. 

"Yes," Aramina spun around from the mirror, "I asked them to, and they agreed." 

"And afterwards?" Diana prodded, knowing full well that it wasn't her business to, and knowing full well too that her friend at present had no one else to converse about this topic to. 

"I—," Aramina spoke, a sudden confusion in her eyes as thought he hadn't given much thought to the afterwards. 

"He has confessed then, of his love to you?" 

The question seemed to knock colour to Lady Aramina Embry's cheeks as though she had gone a bit wild with the rouge on the vanity. Her lips parted to make way for words, but none came out. 

"I take that as a yes," Diana smiled, toughing her hairdo with a gloved hand. 

"But Aramina," She added, crossing over to the vanity and approaching her. "I do not know Philip, and though he rescued you, his valour attunes to his other abilities rather than the ones we are concerned with at present. I want you to be so sure of his love for you that a seven nation army couldn't hold you back." 

Aramina looked at Diana, the emotion on her face going suddenly blank. She spun away to look into the mirror. 

"He hasn't asked me to marry him," She let out flatly. Diana met her eyes in the mirror and sighed. 

"And you want him to, correct?" 

"Yes," Aramina spun back around to face Diana, "Yes, with all my heart." 

"Then you speak to him, tell him as much," Lady Diana Buxton spoke with a finality, as though it was the easiest conclusion she had come up with. 

"Ask him to ask me to marry him?" Aramina let out in disbelief. "I cannot. I would seem so— so pathetic."

Lady Diana Buxton's brows furrowed, a frown on her lips. "My dear. You are a lady. You should be bold in asking for what you want. No man should be fearlessly flouncing about with you without being clear and audible of the serious intention of matrimony. I understand Philip isn't— hasn't been much in circles you and I are often in, but surely as a man he must attune to your reputation. Or rather, you must attune to your own reputation." 

Suddenly, there was a shuffle at the door of Lady Embry's room, and both the ladies turned just in time to see the slight glimpse of who it was before the man hurried off. The shuffle, had apparently been the departing noise, the arriving noise unaccounted for. 

Diana glanced at Aramina, a brow raised and lips pursed. Aramina's brows scrunched upwards, as she quickly gathered her skirts and rushed out of the room to catch Philip.