Chapter 8

LORD OSCAR SEYMOUR WAS IN HIGH fidgets as he paced indignantly across the elaborate and intricately embroidered carpet in the east drawing room of Wycombe house. Over the course of the previous night, he had tossed and turned and had been forcefully thrust to the conclusion that his infiltration of bringing Miss Jessie Churchill to Wycombe and have her play pretense as an heiress was undoubtedly one of his most ludicrous ideas. As a man of much self critic, like any responsible gentleman, Oscar did not assume himself to be devoid of ludicrous ideas, he just believed he had much less of those than perhaps all of the gentlemen in his acquaintance combined. 

It was the next day, and the dread in Oscar's stomach knew no bounds. Unable to bring himself to see more of Miss Churchill in a single night than he had been forced to, Oscar had instructed a maid with the task of settling the rector's daughter in the guest room Lady Embry had previously occupied. The maid had also been employed with the task of waiting on Miss Churchill and dressing her as befit the style of Lady Aramina Embry. Oscar had hoped he would have the courage to embark upon going over a few lessons last night with Miss Churchill, but his resolve had much wavered and he'd dismissed the idea. Which is why, he'd informed her that they'd start early today while Lord Beresford was out and his wife was indisposed. 

She hadn't met them yet, for the introduction was, as per Oscar's plans, to happen in the afternoon. By which time, Miss Jessie Churchill could hopefully be made presentable enough for the society of Oscar's higher connections. At least one could pray for such a heavy miracle. 

Oscar Seymour glanced at the clock as it struck eight. He exhaled, a wary attempt to calm himself. Miss Churchill was supposed to meet him here, dressed and ready for the day, so that they may begin, but it seemed to him that punctuality was another attribute he was to add on his to teach list. It will all be alright, he echoed the words in his mind. The main objective was to find Lady Embry, a job he will rush to alongside Jack once he was sure Miss Churchill would ease into her part here at Wycombe. 

Without meaning to, his memory flashed him the set of the Lady's amber eyes glinting up at him. Eyes that to him seemed like they were etched with gold flecks and full of life more precious than that of his own. 

'You are a good friend to my cousin, Lord Seymour.' 

Her butter smooth voice filled his head. He blinked as he felt himself flushing. He cleared his throat, and shook his head. Lady Aramina Embry was no doubt an attractive woman, but in the short time he'd known her, Oscar knew she was so much more, and he believed with his sound mind and heart that she deserved so much more. So he would do whatever it took to find her, because he promised her that he would introduce her to his cousins. He wanted to introduce her to Diana, to Alicia, to Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Arthur, and perhaps to all his little cousins as well. He gave Lady Embry hope, when he promised her that things will be made alright. And so he would do whatever it took to find her, even if that included bearing with Miss Jessie Churchill and all her faults. 

༺♥༻ 

Miss Jessie Churchill was in front of the looking glass, an exquisite lilac coloured dress being fastened on her by a maid, in a lavishly furnished room with giant glass windows that let in the soft early morning sunlight through the transparency of the sheen curtains, in Wycombe house. She felt out of place, she looked out of place. Her brown eyes were glued to the intricate details of the dress that she was to call hers, a single glorious piece out of the marvellously stunning dozens carefully packed and placed in Lady Embry's wardrobe that had been left in wake of her disappearance. Staring at herself, all Jessie could think was that the dress did not belong on her, and neither did she belong in it. 

"Lord Seymour would be cross," The maid noted, her tone laced with anxiety as she hurried to lower Jessie into a seat and began the odious task of assembling her ginger curls.