Chapter 23

MISS JESSIE CHURCHILL SPENT the next few hours going through the preparations for a ball she wasn't quite in the right heart for. It amazed her, for if she had been invited to look over the festivities for a ball as her former self, Jessie would have jumped at the opportunity. But now? Now she was a different Jessie Churchill, perhaps with a heart that had grown two sizes in the past month. A heart that had very much the same desires but with twice that former passion.

She had wondered briefly what The Lady Beresford had conversed with Oscar Seymour about when she had been excused. It couldn't have been anything trivial, since her pretense was apparently still in place.

Lord Oscar Seymour had not been invited for the council, so Jessie wasn't quite aware on his current whereabouts in the Abbey. The drawing room she was presently in, sported only her aunt, The Lady Graham and The Viscount.

Jessie hadn't seen much of Lady Acacia Beresford either, and her current whereabouts, though not a mystery since the lady had most definitely preferred to resign herself to her room, were a reverie.

"What colour do you prefer, dear," Lady Fiona Graham asked Jessie, bringing two different embroidered pieces of table napkins. "Beige, or Canary?"

Is canary even a colour? Jessie found herself wondering with a start.

"Beige," She responded quickly, and the elder lady hummed in response, making it quite clear that she herself was team canary.

"Beige is a great choice," The Viscount joined in, his smile displaying his teeth as he glanced at Jessie. "Quite elegant."

"Yes, dear," The Lady Graham motioned vaguely with her hand, eyes pinned to a list The Lady Beresford had handed to her. "But it is awfully dull for a winter ball."

"Dull?" The Viscount laughed, "Mother, it is a winter ball. I think the point might be to stick to colours that bring out the white of the season."

"Must you keep reminding me to never let you in charge of the preparations for any of our balls?" His mother gave him a pointed look, and The Viscount rolled his eyes in good humor.

"So, Lady Embry," Conrad Graham began once his mother was occupied again in a debate over the tapestries with Lady Beresford. "Will you be dancing? At the ball, I mean."

"I hope to," Jessie answered carefully and truthfully. Dancing was her favorite thing— to watch, to do. Though she was never one to be asked more than once in a night. 

"Then you must," The Viscount beamed, dimples digging deep. He parted his lips to say something more, but an interruption came in the form a footman.

"My lady," The footman bowed to The Lady Beresford, "There is a visitor for Lady Embry."

Jessie tensed. A visitor? Was it someone Lady Aramina Embry knew? Of course it must be. But, she was not her. She'd be found out if Jessie received this visitor.

"Well, my dear," The Lady Beresford called from where she sat on the opposite sofa. "Go receive your caller. I would ask for them to be brought here but look at the state of the room. There are ball preparational things scattered everywhere. Call for me if I am needed."

"Yes aunt," Jessie swallowed, managing a brave smile as she stood up. She glanced at The Viscount for want of an encouraging face— any face, and he gave her a smile which she returned before making her way out of the room led by the footman.

Perhaps, they won't realize, Jessie thought to herself as she cascaded down the stairs to the main hall where the visitor was waiting. If I just avoid eye contact, and keep taking turns between conversations, or perhaps not look at them at all..