Chapter 24

"SO IT IS DONE?" LADY DIANA Buxton inquired impatiently, apparently not at all pleased with her husband's ability to maneuver about a point without getting right to it.

"Yes, my dear," Lord Buxton emphasized, "It is done."

Audible exhales of relief fluttered about in the east sitting room of Berkshire Abbey.

"We were able to locate the men and hand them over to the authorities. Lord Beresford and I also managed to get one of them to divulge any information of the forged documents Thomas Cranmer hinted at." Lord Buxton added, voice levelled as the party in the room followed his every word.

"And what of them, Lord Buxton?" Lady Aramina Embry asked, "Do you know where they are? They can be destroyed, correct?"

"Cranmer's been sending them to a deposit bank he had opened under a fake name," The gentleman responded. "We have the key to it, my men are on the mission as we speak."

Aramina nodded in understanding, briefly glancing at Philip who offered her a small smile.

"Rest assured, Lady Embry, those documents will be destroyed by nightfall."

"Now, on to destroying Cranmer," Lord Jack Beresford let out, a thoughtful expression on his face as schemes ran through his mind like waterfalls.

"A task that is significantly much easier," Lord Buxton pointed out. "All you need to do is to corner the man in the city, give the victim testimony to the constable, and he will be taken in waiting to see the judge in no time."

"Which is why we must head to Bakewell soon," Lady Diana Buxton pressed, eyes peering at her husband. She glanced at Lord Beresford. "Your man is there, and my cousin and my friend Miss Churchill cannot be expected to hold the fort all by themselves for so long. I keep getting this terrible feeling that things are sure to go amiss while we wait here."

"My dear," Lord Buxton raised a brow, "I would not call what we had been doing here waiting."

Diana rolled her eyes at him. "You know what I mean. Please, Edward, just arrange for the transport so that we can set out."

"I cannot until it is completely safe to do so. But believe me, I am trying." He pursed his lips, eyes earnest.
Then, a curious look spread over his features as he looked back at his wife.

"Am I to believe it is your intention to accompany them to Bakewell?" He asked her.

"Of course, I am going," His wife responded sharply, "Oscar and Jessie are there too, you know. And I must see this whole escapade through."

"Lord Buxton," Another voice spoke up, a raw voice adding to the discussion.

Everyone turned to look at the man who had spoken, and eyes were met with Philip's firm demeanour, his eyes pinned to Lord Buxton.

"How much more time do you think it will be before it is safe to transport out of the city?"

"Now, that is the question I was looking for," Edward Buxton approved with a nod. "Thankfully, I would say not more than eight and forty hours— by which time I hope to have safe transport ready."

"That is a relief to know," Aramina Embry sighed, relaxing herself.

༺♥༻

Lord Oscar Seymour hurried on foot, the sledge having parked itself at the edge of the street. The hard snow crunched under his boots as he quickened his pace, hasty breaths forming white clouds of mist in front of his face. He inwardly cursed the driver, not being keen to be seen dropping off a customer at Bakewell's prison center, the grumpy man had insisted Oscar cover the rest of the journey on foot.