Chapter 22

LADY ARAMINA EMBRY SAT IN THE west drawing room of Berkshire Abbey, in between her fingers, she held the smooth porcelain hook of a tea cup with steaming chamomile tea meant to relax her.

Next to her, sat Lady Diana Buxton, sipping her own cup of tea with a slight restlessness that radiated from her disposition. It was just that the missing heiress had been found, and Lady Buxton had questions. By some magic, she had deduced half of Lady Embry's predicaments, the supporting product of which sat on the opposite sofa with his grandmother.

Lord Jack Beresford sat hunched over a writing desk not very far from the sofas, scribbling away at parchment, turning ink into words to reflect the workings of his brain to Lord Oscar Seymour and his wife in Bakewell.

Aramina was sure Jack was to produce two letters for each, but she worried the act would drain the man.

"Lady Buxton," Aramina spoke, holding her cup near her chest. "You must allow me to thank you again for everything you have done for Jack and for me."

"I do not allow it," Lady Diana Buxton mused, a sly smile on her lips. "It was good exercise for us, and besides, the outcome is all the satisfaction I need. And you must call me Diana, we have been through far too much and not all together for us to begin now with such formality."

"And you must call me Aramina," She responded, a glint of glow on her face. Aramina had learnt much about formality the time she had been away dodging her way to survival. She had learnt that it didn't matter in the worst of times.

"Tell me, Aramina," Lady Diana Buxton began. "Has Lord Beresford told you of my dear friend, Jessie?"

A slight disturbance sounded from Lord Beresford's writing station as a quill dropped from between his fingers on the table.

"Lady Buxton," The gentleman turned to face them, "I was hoping you would clarify the situation for Aramina's understanding. I must admit, I haven't yet begun."

Diana Buxton let out a small laugh, as though she had expected her role in this, and the lack of Lord Beresford's.

"Of course, I will be happy to," She answered, glancing at Aramina's quizzical expression. "But I must insist on privacy for the discussion, Aramina, so perhaps you would like to take a turn with me in our greenhouse? I dare say, it is such a sight in winters."

"Yes," Aramina smiled, glancing briefly at Philip. She hadn't spoken to him for hours now. He hadn't ventured out to talk to her, and neither had she.

"Splendid," Diana beamed, before she followed Aramina's eyes to Philip.

"I'm sure Lord Beresford will be company enough for this gentleman and his grandmother," She continued, not quite familiar on their proper names. For this kind of introduction was thrust upon her instead of gradually and naturally taking its course.

"Yes," Lord Beresford called from over his letter, "I'll be there in a moment, Lady Buxton, you can carry on."

Aramina got up and joined Diana as the lady led them outside the drawing room and towards the back estate exit that opened up to the Berkshire gardens and eventually, the greenhouse.

Aramina caught herself glancing back briefly at Philip before he was out of sight. Footmen at their sides, helped both ladies into warm coats, as they ventured outside.

"Isn't it beautiful? Diana sighed, breathing in the cold air outside. The vision was pure snow clad on top of trees and bushes and soon, Aramina realized, on the greenhouse roof as the glorious structure came into view on the Berkshire grounds.

"It very much is," She responded softly.

"Tell me," Diana began with pride as she led Aramina into the greenhouse. "Did you have one as grand as this at your estate in London?"