9. Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's day so I decided to wear something for the occasion. I put on my pink dress that El was eyeing on Wednesday. It's Friday and I'm feeling great this morning, even if I am single. I take a shower then style my hair. I do very light pink makeup, barely noticeable so hopefully my mom wont clock it. 

I went downstairs and my moms made heart shaped pancakes, along with our typical Turkish breakfast. I sit at the table and my dad asks, "So Ilayda, do you have a Valentines?" I laugh, "No. Do you?" He nods, "It's your mom of course." I say, "Right. Well no need to worry, I have no Valentines." 

My mom says, "You're too young to date right now, no need for Valentines either. It's overrated." My dad says, "Well should I return the box of chocolates I bought for you then?" My mom says, "No, don't go that far." I laugh, "I'm graduating soon even if I did find the love of my life here in Hawkins. And I know I'm not allowed to date till college, so I wouldn't even dare." 

My dad nods, "That's right. We taught you well." My mom says, "Eating these heart pancakes will give you all the serotonin you need today." I smile, "Yes they do, thank you. And I'm going to work today so I won't be home after school." My mom says, "Ok." 

I'm actually not going to work today, but I'd rather hang out with one of my friends than be at home, alone. If anything, Steve is working today so I can hang out with him. I enjoy my time with him. 

At 7:30 Nancy comes to pick me up. I get in her car and we drive to school. I say, "So Nancy, I heard you're going to Jonathan's house tonight for dinner with his family. Right?" She nods, "Yeah, how'd you know?" "Will had told me," I replied. 

She says, "Yeah we're going to eat with Joyce and Hopper, and Mike and El are coming too." I say, "Did you figure out the things between you and Jonathan?" She nods, "Yeah, for now at least. I plan on really talking to him tonight." 

Robin says, "Don't lower your standards for him Nancy." Nancy says, "Yes I know, I know guys. How about you Robin? What are you and Vickie going to do?" Robin told Nancy about her girlfriend a few days ago. 

Robin smiles, "We're going to have a picnic. I told her I could cool, but the truth is I can't so I did get a little nervous. But then she understood I was lying, and said it'd be better for us to get McDonalds and eat it at a picnic." I say, "Wow McDonalds at a picnic, you two are my dream romance." 

Nancy says, "What about you Ilayda? What are you going to do?" I shrug, "Find another single friend who would want to hangout. I don't know who though." Robin says, "Steve is working tonight, alone, you can go to the video store." 

I say, "I usually hang out with him, but maybe I will. I don't know yet, I just don't want to stay home alone though. Home alone with my mom actually." Robin says, "I can ask Vickie and you can tag along." I say, "No Robin, go on your lovey dovey picnic. Maybe I'll go to Star-court and wander around till I meet the love of my life." 

They both laugh and Nancy says, "Probably not at Star-court, but go ahead." I say, "I'll find my soulmate one day." We arrive at school and I get out of Nancy's car. We say bye to each other before splitting up. 

As I'm walking inside the school, someone taps my shoulder. I turn around to see Eddie. He smiles, "Good morning." I smile back, "Good morning." He has one of his arms behind his back and I ask, "What are you hiding?" He notices my gaze and takes his arm out from behind. 

He hands me a singular red rose saying, "Happy Valentines day princess." I say, "What's this for?" He says, "Well I thought because you and I didn't have Valentines, maybe we could be each others?" I stare at him, to the rose, and back at him. 

I say, "You're asking me to be your Valentine?" He nods, "Yes." I say, "I'd like to be your valentine." "Yes!" he exclaims. He does a little hop and people around us start to stare. I hold onto his arm, "Calm down Eddie. Come on, class is about to start. I'll see you in history, ok?" He says, "Yes!" He begins to walk off with extra pep in his step. I laugh behind him and go to my own classroom.