Chapter 47

We heard Andrea's sniffles as we opened the screen door and entered the living room. Aiden held my hand while he held the door for me, and I entered, seeing Andrea held by Tyler, her remaining tears dropping onto his flannel shirt. I saw her draw in a shaky breath, pulling from him a little.

"Andrea, what happened?" I asked. "Was it Zeke?" She nodded, wiping at her eyes.

"I'll be alright," she promised. "It was difficult to see what he's become, and I went in there and had to strong-arm him from a legal perspective. He's always been a stubborn man but to see how cold he's become..."

"You can't blame yourself," Tyler said gently, to which he received a nod and a small smile.

"Thank you, Tyler. I'll try not to," she said, gratefully looking at him. He gave her a kind, half-smile, and she leaned into him again. I smiled at them and leaned into Aiden, who put his arm around me.

Andrea's cell phone ringing broke the spell, and when she brought it up to see, I saw her draw in a breath and pull out of Tyler's arms with a shy look for him.

"Excuse me," she said, bringing the phone to her ear and walking out of the room. "Finally decided to call back, Zane? No, don't...." Her voice was cut off by shutting the ranch house door behind her as she left. Aiden could feel my tension and rubbed my arm. He was obviously used to it. Tyler cleared his throat, feeling the tension.

"You have a minute, Tyler?" Aiden asked, gesturing toward the couches. Tyler studied Aiden for a second and nodded.

"This about Andrea?" Tyler asked, quietly continuing to study Aiden. Aiden looked surprised and laughed.

"No, don't worry about that. I'm glad Andy's had you there for her the last couple of days," Aiden said calmly. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Sure, it's been one hell of a day already, so I'd love a beer." Aiden nodded and disappeared into the kitchen, returning with three beers and a glass of red wine. He handed Tyler and me our drinks and sat the wine down on the coffee table to wait for Andrea to return.

"What are your plans now, Tyler?" Aiden asked, putting his arm around me and relaxing back into the corner of his couch. I leaned back against him, taking a deep breath, my mind turning to the future too. Tyler chuckled in a nervous or bewildered way, reaching up to rub his neck with his hand. I could see he was thinking about things.

"Shit," he breathed out, finally taking in the gravity of his situation. "Sorry, baby girl," he apologized to me. "I guess I'll start looking for another ranch hand job somewhere."

"Do you have a prospective job already lined up?" Aiden asked. Tyler laughed like Aiden's question was hilarious.

"Mr. Patterson, I don't have a dime to my name. I probably won't see any of what Zeke owed me, and I can't tell you how badly I needed that. I won't be getting a reference from him, so prospects are slim."

"You in some kind of financial trouble, Tyler?" Aiden asked, concern coloring his question.

"In a manner of speaking," Tyler said, shifting uncomfortably. "My father died about four years ago, and my Mother was left to try to take care of my sisters without him. One of my sisters needs a lot of medical care. My paycheck goes to them, Sir."

"I see," Aiden drew out, his hand coming up to his chin in thought. "You have no assets?"

"No, Sir. I sold my truck and horse to pay for the last few hospital visits." My heart was breaking for Tyler, particularly because it was my fault that he was now in this situation, intensifying the hurt I felt from the day's heartbreak. Aiden sat, rubbing his chin in thought.