Chapter 43

I sucked in a deep breath of pain that had nothing to do with the attack and almost crumbled to the ground, watching Aiden's form disappearing into the dark. Tyler reached for me and steadied me, his eyes following mine that were staring into the darkness where Aiden had disappeared.

"Come on, darlin. Let's get you settled for the night," he said, gently guiding me back towards the tent. "Brant, you want to go check up on those fools? I didn't get the chance."

"Sure," Brant said, his eyes turning to me, concern on his face. He didn't understand and probably assumed it was because of what had just happened with Hunter, but I knew that Tyler did.

Aiden had asked me to wait for him to make my decision until he could return, and I had been doing my best to do that for both him and Brant; so I could make a wholehearted, sincere decision, but what had just happened broke my spirit and crushed my heart I'd been holding for him. The pain from the way he had left hit me like a ton of bricks, weighing on me and making it hard to breathe.

"Tyler...," I almost cried in a whisper after Brant walked off.

"I know, baby girl. Right now, you need to get some sleep. You're going to be rotten sore come morning," he answered, guiding me back to the tent.

"Tyler," Brant's voice called, "Here's her cot and bag." They appeared in the tent, and Brant disappeared to go check on the rest of the men.

Tyler silently placed my cot in the middle, towards the back, so if anyone entered, they would meet him and Brant first. He quietly helped me into my sleeping bag and bent down to give me a quick peck on the forehead, whispering, "Night, Darlin." I felt tears in the corners of my eyes and rolled over to get some sleep.

My sleep was fitful at best, filled with images of Hunter coming at me, Brant and Tyler's beaten faces, and the look I had seen on Aiden's. So much pain buried beneath that hard exterior. I woke with a groan to the alarm on my watch. I tried to rise but gasped with the intensified pain of the effort. At last, I managed to rise and slipped past Tyler and Brant, who had stirred at my alarm but went back to sleep.

It was still dark out when I crossed the camp and entered the mess hall tent to begin preparing breakfast. I was moving slowly and carefully but still got my work done promptly; breakfast was ready before the first man stepped into the tent. The sound of one coming in had me turning sharply, on alert.

"It's alright, Taylor," Brant's gentle, comforting words helped me take a breath as he walked up to me. I grimaced for him when I saw how the bruises had deepened overnight on his handsome face. I reached up and caressed him, avoiding the tender spots, causing him to smile appreciatively at my touch. He bent and kissed me carefully, his swollen lip paining him.

"Brant," Jason chuckled as he entered the tent, spotting us. Brant smiled at me, a twinkle in his eye. He finally looked at Jason.

"What's up, Jason," Brant asked.

"You sure you're done?" Jason teased, making Brant and I laugh. Brant nodded at him to continue. "Who are we pairing up with that bas....with Hunter?" Jason's eyes had drifted to me as he attempted to moderate his language.

"I'll partner with him today," Brant said.

"Better wear your hog leg," Jason chuckled again, making Brant laugh heartily. "Don't need the boss getting drug into the woods." Brant sighed in amusement.

I turned and got them both dished up just as Tyler came in the tent, followed by the hired hands. At last, Nick showed to the jeering of the rest of the men. I didn't acknowledge Hunter in any way; I just handed him his plate and turned to the man next in line.