4

josh's point of view

"do you think you'll take the position?"

i stare down at my plate, moving the food around with my fork. "i don't know. it is a lot of money," i pause, pursing my lips in thought. i continue, "i think he's showing out for attention, like a child. once he's used to me, surely he'll settle down. for now, he's just... annoying." i look up to see him gazing at me with a warm, soft smile.

ayden reaches across the table to touch my wrist, stopping my hand from playing with my food. "i think it's a great opportunity, but it's up to you in the end. i'll support you either way. it's nothing to stress over, j. i'm really proud of you."

"thanks. i, um... haven't talked to jayla about it yet. she would be coming with me, assuming she wanted to at least. i mentioned it to her but i don't think she's made a decision yet either."

"maybe you should call her after dinner. are you finished eating?" there's no judgment in his tone, no trace of him being upset that i haven't made a decision, that i didn't eat much of the meal he prepared for us.

i look down at my plate again, my food barely touched. "i guess. i'm sorry, ayden. i'll eat some of the leftovers tomorrow, i promise."

"don't apologize, baby. you didn't do anything. besides, you know i love cooking. it's not a big deal."

"i love you."

he stands up and comes around to the other side of the table where i'm sitting and kisses the top of my head. "i love you more."

-

jayla and i sit across from each other in the coffee shop the next morning, drinks in hand.

she takes a sip of her coffee and then sets it on the table, "i think we should make a pros and cons list, yeah?"

"okay, where do we start?"

"pros?"

"a raise."

"that's a big one. having a bigger company on my resume would probably help outside of my internship too."

"no, think bigger. if they're desperate to find someone to work with tyler, i bet we could negotiate you your own permanent position."

her eyes get just a little wider. "really?"

"of course, jayla. you deserve it. you've done incredible work just in the few months you've been with me. i don't know why you're an intern in the first place."

"it's a competitive field," she says quietly. "you really think i could do it? you'd do that for me?"

"of course i would."

she smiles and then looks down at her drink, opting to take another sip before talking again, "cons?"

i stay silent.

"say it."

"i don't want to say anything to talk either of us out of it when we're leaning towards yes. this could be great for both of us."

she raises an eyebrow at me and picks up her phone. "what happened to 'he's absolutely infuriating and i'd rather lick hot coals than work with him again or i might end up punching him,' with the upside-down smiley face emoji?"

"okay, maybe i was a little bit dramatic there. but i think it could be... interesting. maybe that's not the right word. entertaining? add some spice to the workday."

"mr. dun, pardon my language, but with all due respect, i'm gonna call that bullshit."

"it'll be fine. let's take it."