ten

"Oh, look!" Shouts Layla, "There's Cedric."

The four of us all turn our heads. Since Dinner has started, I've informed her of everything that happened that afternoon. Cedric looks at us, a subtle smile on his face. He fills the extra seat next to me, and grabs a pear from the fruit bowl in front of us.

"How was it?" I ask, nervously. My father slips in the great hall through the door by the head table. I quickly look way, not wanting to make eye contact.

He shakes his head. "In order to get a N.E.W.T in potions, I'll have to kiss up to him for the rest of the year."

I roll my eyes, burying my hands in my head. "I'm so sorry Cedric."

He shrugs, and continues eating. He looks deep in thought. His gray eyes seem to be somewhere else.

A few owls quickly rush into the great hall. Normally most of the owls are delivered in the morning, but there are always a few at other meal times. They all circles around the Gryffindor table, and two land there. The other makes it way to our table. A dark, black owl rushes over us, and quickly lands in front of Cedric, making him shriek.

Evangeline laughs, throwing her head back. "It's just an owl, Ced."

Cedric glares at her, still giving the owl a strange glare. I notice a few white, soft feathers under the black ones. "Harriet?" I ask, smiling at the owl.

The owl hops over to me, nearly stepping in the meal in front of me. She drops the letter in my lap, and I recognize the small, tight handwriting with circled dots over the "i's." I stroke the owl on the head, and grab the pearly white envelope.

"Who's it from?" Asks Cedric, relaxing a bit.

I laugh, "It's from one of my friends from Ilvermorny..."

Cedric nods and I rip open the letter. I clutch the sides, and read every single word. It's just multiple pages of making fun of me. Occasionally she throws in an inside joke, but nothing new. She tells me all about her visit to our congress of magic, and how she met a younger British boy. I laugh at the fact that she's been writing him off and on. Opal is pretty introverted, I can't see her trying to make a move on someone she's only met once or twice. I notice the last sentence, and a hundred emotions swarm me at once. She borrowed my grandmothers ring awhile ago, and is finally sending me back. I dig around the envelope, looking for the ring. I pull it out, looking at the small, rounded diamond bubbles in a line. I slide it on my finger, reminding myself of when my grandmother would wear it. I smile down at it, thankful I can wear it again.

"What did they say?" Layla asks, staring. "You've been smiling like an idiot this whole time."

"I bet it's from her boyfriend from Ilvermorny," Evangeline says.

Cedric chokes on his pumpkin juice, looking between Evangeline and I.

"I wish," I mutter, "it's just from one of my friends. She borrowed a ring from me and is returning it."

"Yeah, right," says Rosa, looking at the letter.

"Whatever," I say, still making fun of Cedric for nearly spitting out his drink.

After dinner, we all head to the Hufflepuff common room. Instead of playing wizarding chess, watering plants, or raiding the kitchens, the four of us just head through the busy commons and into our room. Apparently the girls have a tradition of cleaning the dorm on Thursday nights, seeing as the house elves come to pick up midday Friday. They always say they'll do anything to make their lives easier. I keep thinking about my potential response to Opal. She mentioned her family opening a new bakery location. She went on and on about how their family wants a fresh start. They aren't willing to sell, but hopefully they can hire people to care for their original location.

I hear a small knock on the door. Evangeline drops her broom and goes to open the door. I continue to fold my clothes, expecting Wayne or Hannah to walk through the door.

"It's for you, Claudia," she says, picking up her broom. "One of the twins, I can't tell."

I snap my head up, and I see a tall ginger standing in the doorway. "Fred?" I ask, "What do you want?"

He scoffs, "That's a way to greet yours truly." He looks at me, "Are you going to come here or should I continue yelling across the room to you?"

I groan, getting up to go talk to him. I repeat myself, "What do you want?" I can my feel the girls eyes on my back.

He looks down at me. "That dear brother of mine wanted me to ask you something."

I look around, "Then why are you here?"

He puts a hand on his chest, pretending to be offended. "Ouch. You've wounded me."

I chuckle.

"Do you have plans for Saturday afternoon? We have something we need to show you."

I nod, "I bet the girls ten galleons I'll beat them in gobstones."

"You think that's smart, Claudia?" He says smirking.

"Like you and George don't turn every little thing into a bet!"

He shrugs, "See you Saturday afternoon then."

I laugh, "Did you not listen to anything I just said?"

He walks away, and into the common room.

"Wait!" I call, stepping out of the doorway. Our door is still wide open.

Fred turns, "Something wrong?"

"That was mean you know," I laugh. "calling Ron Ronald the first time I met you. Hermione had quite the laugh."

He grins, putting his hands up to surrender. "He deserves it. You should've heard the things he said about you."

I frown, looking at Fred, "Like what?"

"Don't worry sweetheart," Fred says. "Nothing George and I couldn't handle."

With a wink, he leaves the common room. He hits Cedric on the back of his head on the way out. I shake my head, smiling. I walk into the room, and all of the girls are looking at me.

"George invited me to a party," I blurt out of nowhere.

"Wait really?" Evangeline asks, dropping the mop again. The large thud makes Layla jump from her bed. "Wasn't that Fred?"

"Fred wants to show me something before the party," I explain. "George invited me to the party this afternoon after detention."

Rosa stays silent, listening to the conversation around us.

"Are we still up for gobstones Saturday afternoon?" Layla asks once she's finished dusting the nightstand.

"Of course," I laugh, "I'm not ditching you for those idiots."

"I have to go," Rosa says abruptly.

"What's the hurry?" Evangeline questions.

"Nothing," she says, her cheeks turning red. She looks rather annoyed.

"Sure," I say, sarcastically.

"Is this about Hopkins?" Evangeline asks.

"For the last time, Everglade!" Rosa shrieks, "Wayne and I are nothing."

I chuckle, watching Rosa storm out of the warm lit room.

"Someone's jealous," Layla says, simply, once Rosa leaves the room.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Oh, please, Dia. It's quite obvious," Evangeline says, smiling.

"For the last time, Everglade!" I say, mockingly, "Not everyone is supposed to be in Ravenclaw."

"You'll know once you get a brain in that head of yours," says Layla.

I shrug and continue to do my laundry.

A/N: Happy tenth chapter. Thank you for 100 reads!!