25. almosts

Exams were almost over; it was finally starting to really feel like summer. Quinn and I had been hanging out almost every other day for a couple of weeks now. And I had been really enjoying it. A little too much. It was starting to become a struggle to push my rising feelings aside for my once enemy. Which I had to do because I had become fairly certain he didn't feel the same way.

We spent most our time just out in the car or relaxing in my garden - nothing that felt like a date. But there were still plenty of opportunities for him to make a move. Plenty of times where he got a little too close to me for being just friends. All of which he never seemed affected by. It was like the kiss never even happened.

Tonight was the first time he'd hang out with the rest of my friends, actually as one of my friends and not someone who just showed up to annoy me. Hannah and Olivia were ecstatic at this news. They were hoping to score an invite to his birthday party that was coming up. It's all everyone at school was talking about. Despite half of them definitely not being invited.

"I wish you would just hurry up and tell him you like him!" Olivia groaned.

"I've never said I like him!"

"I think it's fairly obvious now, V."

"Yes, I've admitted I find him attractive. We get on well now too. But that's it. He doesn't see me that way."

"Are you forgetting you freaking made out on the dance floor!" Hannah said a little too loud for my liking.

"Shut up!" I hissed. "I don't want the others to hear you."

Despite being in the middle of the dance floor, our kiss had gone unnoticed by most. All the boys were outside in the smoking area and according to Hannah and Olivia, Cliodhan had gotten bored of waiting for Quinn at the bar and was nowhere to be seen. All of these friends were currently waiting for us in Olivia's living room. I was keeping my voice down so they wouldn't hear us. The last thing I needed was for them to find out about our kiss, moments before Quinn arrived.

"I can't believe you haven't even told Cliodhan," Olivia rolled her eyes. "She is going to embarrass herself and be all over him."

"Well, she has every right to," I shrugged.

"Don't act like it wouldn't bother you."

"Listen he isn't interested in me, I've accepted that. He should be here any minute now, by the way."

"Is Ronan coming with him?" Hannah asked nervously, without lifting her head to look at us.

"I knew it!" Olivia shrieked, "you definitely fancy him!"

"I do not!"

"Oh, you totally do," I laughed in agreement as the doorbell rang, "but yes, he's joining us too. That's probably them now!"

We left Olivia to greet them at the door, the two of us probably too nervous to be there when they walked in. We made our way to the living room to join the rest of our friends. Taking a seat on Olivia's 3-seater sofa, leaving a space for her when she came back.

"Hey guys," the boys greeted as they came in, following behind Olivia. They received a chorus of hello's as I went with a simple smile and wave, catching Quinn's eye as he zoned in on me.

"The boys bought me a bottle of wine for hosting, isn't that lovely?" Olivia smiled our way.

"It was lovely of you to invite us," Quinn smiled back at her, earning major brownie points from my friend.

"You're both welcome anytime, now that you and Ivy can be trusted in the same room without killing each other," she laughed, earning a few confused looks from the boys. "Well, sit down, make yourselves comfortable."