21. gcse results day

(before mum died - flashback)

Three A stars, six A's and one B. I couldn't believe it. All the hard work in fifth year had paid off. I got more than enough points to stay on for sixth form and do a-levels. I even got the highest in my English language and literature classes, maths too. In fact, all of my friends had actually done well. Thankfully, the six of us would be staying together next year, just like we planned. We'd even be in similar classes.

"I kind of regret not bringing our parents," Hannah frowned on our way home. Most of our year had decided to collect their results on their own to avoid unnecessary pressure.

"I know, me too. My dad was working though anyway," I shrugged.

"Yeah, true. It's just there was no way any of us were ever going to do that bad."

"Speak for yourself, I got a C in French!" Olivia scoffed.

"Oh God forbid! One subject that you didn't get an A in!" I teased her, "Anyway, we're almost home. I can't wait to show my mum the results."

We said our goodbyes, before heading our separate ways home, all agreeing to meet up again later to celebrate. Everyone was coming to my house for a party. We couldn't wait. Getting into sixth form was a pivotal moment in everyone's lives. The sixth formers always ruled the school. They had their own café, study areas, and two common rooms. I remember Quinn telling my mum that sixth form shapes you as a person, even though he hadn't finished his final year yet.

My mum was waiting for me as I arrived home, with a huge smile on her face. She knew I would do well. I worked hard.

"Well? How many A's?"

"Six," I smiled. "three A stars too, might I add... and one B, in French."

"Oh, Ivy, that's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" she embraced me in a hug. "Let me guess, A stars in English language, literature, and maths?"

I laughed at how well she knew me. Maybe I was just an obvious person. I think everyone in the class knew I would be top in those subjects too. I loved school. I always did.

"You knew I would do well."

"Of course, I did, you worked hard all year. Me and your father got you something."

She handed me a card and a small white gift box. Inside was a charm for my nomination bracelet, that said Well done on it. I really hadn't expected a gift, but my parents were too good to me. They had even put money in a congratulations card.

"The money is so you can treat yourself and the girls to some breakfast tomorrow, I'm sure you will all need it after this party tonight."

"Thank you so much mum, you're the best."

The girls came around just after dinner, and we all got ready together. Most of our year where staying on for A-levels anyway but there were still a few choosing to go to tech instead, or even move schools. So, this was our last night as our entire year group, and everyone was coming.

"Maybe James will finally realise he's in love with me, tonight," Olivia sighed jokingly.

"I wouldn't hold out on it, Liv."

"But I know he does! It's obvious we're meant to be together!" she clutched her heart, dramatically.

"Oh, definitely, but boys are dumb. We know this!" Hannah laughed.

By about 10 o'clock everyone was there. Usually, a few people in the year above would always crash these types of things, but this time even Quinn and a few of his friends turned up.

"You aren't seriously being made to chaperone, are you?"

"No, Ivy. Believe it or not, I have a life outside of you. My friends just wanted to come," he looked to Ronan, beside him.

"Hey Ivy, you're looking great," he smiled before receiving an elbow from Quinn.

"Man shut up, she's literally two years below and my annoying neighbour."

"Annoying? You're the one standing in my garden."

"Again, only because my friends wanted to come," he growled, "I would rather be anywhere else. Especially if you're not there."