15. family dinners

The match was actually really fun to watch. We never really went and supported the boys unless it was a big final. But I had a feeling we would be going to a lot more if Olivia got her way. She was a GAA girlfriend now she kept saying. While she and Hannah waited on the side-lines to congratulate our friends on the win, I scarpered off home as fast as I could. I was trying to avoid Quinn. He had been the star of the match, as usual. It was making it really hard to act like he wasn't there like I'd been planning to.

I couldn't believe after all this time; the flowers had been from him. I felt dumb for thinking they were ever from Harry. He was just a boy in my maths class. I had given him my first kiss, all because he let me think he sent those stupid flowers.

It now made sense that Hannah had no idea what I was talking about when I said she helped him. Instead, it was probably mine or Quinn's mum that done the meddling. They probably forced him to buy me them in the first place. I doubt his mum would've been able to force him to this year though. He said it himself; he wasn't even forced to attend my birthday this time round. So why did he send them again? I didn't get any from anyone for my seventeenth. I wondered if he heard us talking about it in the garden last night and then wanted to embarrass me by finally admitting it was him. I didn't know what way to take it. I couldn't tell if he was genuinely being sweet. Or if he was being evil.

Just as I had made it to my doorstep, I couldn't find my house key. Frantically, I checked every pocket I could think of. I must have been so flustered earlier, trying to hide Quinn's card from my friends that I had completely forgot to take my key out. I was banging on the door, praying dad or Connor would be home, but I knew it was slim chance. There was football on today and there was talk of them going to the bar together. Maybe I could walk round to our local and get a key off them.

"Ivy, what on earth are you doing?" Angela Hale popped her head out her front door, "did you lose your house key?"

"Sorry Angela, I didn't realise how loud I was banging. It's not lost I just forgot to take it out with me. I'm gonna go grab dads off him now, don't worry."

"Well, it's your lucky day. Come on in, I've just started making dinner."

"No honestly, its fine! Won't even take me five minutes to walk round."

"Ivy, come on inside."

This was not good. I was doing the exact opposite of avoiding Quinn now. I was in his house for God's sake. Angela was making dinner. I'd have to have dinner with him. Yeah, this definitely was not good, my brain confirmed it as I excused myself to the bathroom almost immediately. But I couldn't hide forever.

"Oh good, Quinn's home!" I heard Angela shout. "You'll never guess who's joining us for dinner!"

Fantastic. She was trying to ruin my life now too. I wondered if it was too late to move house and get new neighbours.

"Ivy?" Quinn looked puzzled as I appeared in their kitchen doorway.

"I forgot my house key. Angela insisted I stay for dinner."

"Right."

"I was just going to walk round and get a key off dad. I still could if this-"

"Nonsense! You're always welcome around here for dinner, go ahead and sit down. Quinn set the table, would you?"

This was going to be a complete nightmare. I quickly took my phone out and texted dad, SOS I forgot my key and the Hale's have kidnapped me, can you help? The response I got back was a picture of a pint captioned, busy, but why are you trying to escape our lovely neighbours? Eugh. Dad was no use. I didn't even reply to his message, while Angela presented a lovely roast dinner in front of me.