Chapter 4 - Newfound Awe

Awe clambered into my body like a rolling mist. The entrance was grand. More then grand; it was luxurious.

Speckled marble floors beamed with pride as they shimmered through shades of white, black, and a dark, earthly green. White marble columns rose menacingly throughout the hall, giving strength to the mirror like ceiling above. Metal embraced every wall, reflecting Jake and I as we passed through the hall.

"Close your mouth," Jake said, tapping my chin. "You're beginning to disturb me."

My jaw snapped shut automatically having been cast from my reverie. I ignored Jake's input. "The entrance is more astonishing then the castle itself."

A sly grin appeared on Jake's face. "It was built that way. The entrance hall is meant to intimidate or belittle any visitors from neighboring kingdoms. We're quite proud of that room here." He paused in his steps to look at me. "Are you intimidated?"

I shook my head, answering honestly. "I'm more awestruck then intimidated."

Jake let out a low whistle. "That's a first."

"What?"

"You're the first person to walk through those doors and not be intimidated." Jake explained before he started to continue on.

Jogging to catch up to his fast stride, I smiled with self-satisfaction. "Really?"

He nodded, smiling at me. "Really, Dee."

I grinned. "Good."

Jake's body rumbled with laughter. "You're a strange girl. Did you know that?"

"I prefer to think of myself as unique."

"You definitely are unique." Jake murmured, glancing sideways at me.

I beamed at him as I gracefully curtsied low to the floor. When I raised my head up another person was with us.

A boy, maybe a year or two older then Jake and myself stood off to the side watching us. His similarity to Jake was striking, but where Jake's handsomeness was subtle, this boys features were sharp and defined. His black hair was cut short, spiking up at the front unlike Jake's shaggy hair down to his ears. Firm, muscular arms crossed over his chest as his sapphire blue eyes sparked with curiosity and surprise.

In that instant I knew that I had seen him before. My father had shown me pictures of him for years, telling me to be wary of him; to be cautious of the Prince.

"Who did you bring home, Jake?" He asked quietly, his expression foreboding. His voice was still warm, and full of emotion even though his stance suggested that he was angry.

Jake gestured towards me, smiling timidly. "This is Dee. I found her yesterday wandering the streets alone."

"You're picking up stray cats now, Jay?" The boy shook his head, softly smiling. "First cats, then dogs, and now girls? Why do you have to be so thoughtful?"

I stood silently, glancing between the two boys. Whether this new boy was being kind or mocking to Jake I couldn't tell, but Jake was taking it all in stride.

A manic grin spread across Jake's cheerful face. "It makes up for your lack of kind deeds, Neil."

Neil thumped Jake fondly on the back, taking on a terrible English accent. "Spot on, chap." He caught sight of me again. "What do you plan on doing with this Dee, Jay?"

'I am right here. In this room.' I thought bitterly, but didn't dare say it out loud. Instead I smiled timidly, watching Neil's every move.

"I was thinking that she could stay in the castle with us for a while. She doesn't have a place to stay."

"Do you know why she doesn't have a place to stay?" Neil's gaze was fierce. I fought the urge to find a corner and cower.

Jake shook his head, smiling reassuringly at me. "No, but I do know that her heart is in the right place."

Jake's words changed the way that Neil held himself. My thoughts instantly flew to the fact that they could be using code words or secret phrases. Could what Jake had said mean he had found the missing princess of Kitsbane?

My body was rigid. My eyes darted around the room for an easy escape route, frantically devising a plan. Relief came in tremors when I heard Neil sigh reluctantly.

"Fine. She can stay." Neil was shaking his head as if he was battling with himself. "But you're responsible for her Jake! If anything happens because of her, it will all fall on you. Do you understand?" He jabbed a finger towards Jake's face.

This time I was determined to speak. "No harm will come to your castle or the residents within. I promise."

Neil smiled thinly, crossing his arms with a lacking sense of effort. "I hope not, or you will be out on the streets faster then you can say 'Yes, Your Highness.'"

'Yes, Your Highness!' I mocked him ruefully in my head, muttering to myself about his arrogance. Sweeping low into a curtesy, I smiled. "Of course, Your Highness."

With one final glance my way Neil turned to whisper something in Jake's ear before disappearing through an archway presumably leading to a library. Jake and I watched him until his silhouette was no longer visible.

I glared suspiciously at Jake. "What did he tell you to do?"

"Neil asked that I find you a room and have a tailor sent to your quarters for measurements." Jake started walking briskly again, this time turning down a darker, slimmer corridor.

"Oh," I said, slightly stumped. Neil's actions had been nothing but cruel and demeaning towards me, so why would he want to give me a room and new clothes? Irritably, I pushed the thoughts away and took in the fact that I had a place to stay, that's away from my father. Grinning, I jogged to catch up to Jake.

We kept walking, passing by a garden teeming with roses, lilies, and countless other types of flowers creating a kaleidoscope of wondrous colours. Water gurgled somewhere beyond the bushes. Suddenly, I remembered Arora. "Jake?"

Jake stopped and turned around, tilting his head quizzically.

"Do you mind if I wait in the garden while you find me a room?"

He studied me for a moment, indecisiveness flickering across his features. Jake sighed heavily, rolling his eyes. "Do you promise to stay here and not run off?"

"I swear on my life." I uttered solemnly, placing a hand over my heart.

"Then I guess you can stay here... I'll be back as soon as I can." Jake vanished from the garden's entrance.

Grinning, I ran urgently to the water's source; a pond surrounded by vibrant daffodils. A small, bubbling fountain of water sprouted from the middle giving off the serene sound. I traced my fingers across the surface of the water creating hundreds of ripples. "Arora." I whispered, bending down to look at the surface.

As the ripples faded they were replaced by Arora's loving muzzle. "It took you long enough to contact me." She muttered restlessly.

I smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry, it's only been a day."

"That doesn't matter, Dawn. I was still worried about you." Arora's image moved closer to my own. "Did you find a safe place to stay?"

"I'm going to be living in the palace." A giggle slipped out as I anticipated her reaction.

Arora bared her teeth, growling quietly. "Are you insane?" The image on the pool began to move back and forth, telling me that she was pacing recklessly. "I hope you know what you're doing Dawn... If you get caught I don't know if I will be able to help."

"You'll find a way, Arora." I offered soothingly.

"Dee?" Jake called in the distance, his footsteps clattering through the corridor.

I dashed my fingers across the water, letting the ripples shatter Arora's image. "In here, by the pond." I called, listening to my own echo.

Jake found me with ease, smiling down at me as I sat by the pond's edge. "I've found the perfect room for you."