Chapter 3 - Troubled Roads

My feet trudged along unwillingly as Jake pulled along the winding roads. We had passed hundreds of people who acknowledged him, bowing deeply, and tittering joyfully as they took in me. Jake had wound my arm through his, clasping it with his hand. Now the civilians throughout Castin believe that I am his 'new love'.

Great.

"Are we there yet?" I asked tersely, scowling at Jake for the umpteenth time today.

"We've only been walking for a couple of minutes... Be patient." He smiled at a passing couple and pulled me closer, slinking an arm around my waist.

I brushed his arm off of my waist. "Why are you acting all couply with me?"

Jake shrugged. "Wouldn't you think it a bit odd if a resident of the castle entered with a girl of no relation just standing by his side? In these days, acts like that will turn people's thoughts to the darker side..." He shook his head sadly. "It would be easier if it seemed as if I am courting you."

"Oh, I get it." I mumbled, my cheeks flowered with colour.

I made no further arguments as Jake's arm wound around my waist again. I forced a calm, ironic smile on my face and enjoyed my surroundings. The sun was low in the sky sending ripples of silver across my body. The buildings and there windows also rippled with silver as they soaked in the dying sun. I looked up across the town to see the grand castle, looking so much like my own. Three towers loomed over the rest of the magnificent structure. Windows gleamed from every surface, outshining the sparkling metal walls.

"It's beautiful." I murmured.

"What?" Jake looked at me and caught my line of sight. "Oh, the castle. Yeah, it is."

"Jake?" I asked casually, glancing at him.

"Yeah?" He kept guiding through the now crowded streets.

"Why was metal the base foundation for Castin?"

"You should know this," scoffed Jake, laughing slightly. "With each different element or material comes a new territory, kingdom or power." A slight tug on my arm and Jake was pulling me through an open doorway in the castle wall. "How come you don't know this?"

"I'm a sheltered child." I muttered resentfully. It was true. Ever since I was old enough to read my father was handing me books with happy endings and rainbows. My whole view of the world was based on the sole knowledge of what my father had handed me. It wasn't until the day that my mother had left us on my seventh birthday that I released there was a darkness in the world.

"Did your parents lock you away in a dungeon or something?" Jake joked, elbowing me gently.

"No..." I pulled away from him and sat on the edge of a fountain which was in what I guessed to be one of the courtyards. "My father, he only taught me about the bright, cheerful things in life... It wasn't until the day that my mother left that he decided to teach me hate, sin, greed, revulsion, and every other despiteful trait that the world has to offer."

Jake stood in front of me, thankfully blocking the sun. "I'm sorry that happened to you."

I laughed, wiping a stray tear off of my cheek. "So am I."

Jake put on a cheery face. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"We have arrived!" He gestured quite dramatically to the castle behind.

"Wow." I clapped my hands to my cheeks. "I never would have guessed!"

A scowl flitted across Jake's face before a grin replaced it. He jumped forward suddenly and tilted my body backwards over the shallow, bubbling water of the fountain, holding me in suspension. The ends of my hair dangled in the water, soaking it up.

"Stop! Let me up!" I squealed, thrashing my legs.

Jake laughed and pulled me up. "That will teach you to use sarcasm against the likes of someone such as myself ever again!"

I landed a punch square on his shoulder causing him to grab it and curse.

"You most definitely do not hit like a girl."

"I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a dis..." I smiled coyly at Jake. "So where are we going now?"

"Inside," he pointed to two large, surprisingly wooden, doors that were elaborate in their design. The dark mahogany wood played off of the metallic surfaces perfectly. "to greet my family."

"I have to meet your family?" I squeaked, and stumbled backwards. Maybe letting Jake take me to the castle was a bad idea after all... What if the king recognized me? Or the queen?

"Relax!" Jake grabbed my hand and began pulling me to the double doors. "The king and queen are away on business! It's only my cousin and I right now."

Relief flooded through my body. "Ok." I said timidly and followed Jake into the castle.