〽️ Chap. 8 / No more Speedy-Girl? 〽️

The morning, Katie wakes up first on the beach. She notices that Ryder is still sleeping close to her, very close to her. The blonde girl is trying to get up.
"Hey, wake up." she says to Ryder.
Ryder slowly wakes up and yawns, "Why...are we at the beach?"
"I guess we were just so tired that we fell asleep here." Katie says then she says, "Come on, get up. We're going to the Lookout."
"To the lookout? What for?"
"We need a plan to fight this weird scientist." Katie says putting on her new Speedy-Girl helmet.

"Do the pups know who I am?"
"No, they don't. Only Mayor Humdinger and the scientist know who you are." says Ryder standing up.

The two friends walk towards the Lookout without saying anything. When they arrive, they see all the pups already awake.
"Ryder Sir! You're finally here! Where were you all night? We were so worried!" exclaims Chase licking his owner's cheek.
"Hi Speedy-Girl! I was so terrified when I saw you yesterday! How are you now?" Skye asks, her eyes worried.
"I'm, I'm fine. Thank you." Katie says, doing her best to have a different voice.

"Dude, they went on a date, right?" Zuma asks Rocky.
"Date? I thought Ryder was crushing on Katie." says Rocky.
"Maybe he loves Speedy-Girl and Katie." Rubble says.

"I'm sorry Speedy-Girl. I didn't really like you at first. But if we work together, we will win against that crazy guy." says Chase.
"It's okay. Let's get inside and think to a plan." Katie says.

The pups, Ryder and Katie walk into the Lookout and all of them think of a plan.
"I have a plan! Let's give the scientist food. Maybe he likes food." Rubble says.
"If we make a little description of this guy, he can throw fireballs and can melt a structure when he touches it. Water isn't enough to stop him and the only place you can attack him is from the air." says Speedy-Girl.
"Exactly! All we have to do is prepare something very cold for his whole body." Ryder says.
"Bad idea." says Rocky.
"What?"
"I haven't had time to examine his body but the molecules that compose it form an extremely hot matter .... like the sun! Water or ice may just weaken the fire but will never be able to extinguish it. The only way to stop the fire is to have something that is hotter than fire." says Rocky.

Suddenly, a noise is heard in the city. The pups, Ryder and Katie look out the window and see the scientist who has returned. This time, he can fly with his powers.
"He's flying now!" Skye exclaims.
"We're not even prepared!" says Marshall.
"Adventure Bay is not going to melt today. Help the people who need to be saved, I will face this scientist... alone." Katie says.
"You can't do that!"
"It's the only way! If we all attack him, he will hurt one of us. If I go alone, I can distract him and keep him away from the town with my super speed." Katie says.

Ryder gives Speedy-Girl a tight hug.
"Don't leave me today." Ryder says.
"I will not." responds Speedy-Girl who runs off.

"I told ya! Something's going on between them." Zuma says in a low voice.

In town, the scientist melts everything in his path with his fire powers.
"I'm giving you a last warning! Stop!" Speedy-Girl says to the scientist above her.
"Ah! I should have finished you off when I had the chance!"
"What's your name, by the way?" Katie asks loudly so he can hear.
"I'm the crazy scientist!"
"That's a cute name, did your parents give it to you?" Speedy-Girl says with a smirk.

"I will catch you and kill you!"
"Catch me first." says Katie running with her super-speed. The scientist follows her and throws fireballs at her, which Katie dodges very easily. Katie goes away from the town and arrives near the mountains where she stops.
"You're not gonna stop me from destroying Adventure Bay!" says the scientist, enraged.
"You deserve a punch in your face just for saying that." Katie says, rushing then jumping up to the scientist who gets punched in the face.

"That was a hot punch!" Katie says, ready to start a fight against the scientist.
"All of this for a punch? You're not the only one with super strength." says the scientist punching Katie who finds herself several meters away from the super-villain.

"We have one thing in common, girl. We fight for a reason. But you can never save your people, only fools are heroes!" says the scientist.
"I may not be a hero, but I know I'm special." Katie says.
Speedy-Girl rushes at full speed on the scientist. With her super-speed, she creates a tornado of wind. The scientist finds himself lost in this tornado.
"Are you trying to hide from me?" says the scientist looking for Speedy-Girl in the wind tornado. Within seconds, he grabs Speedy-Girl.
"You're not gonna destroy our town!"
"Go back where you come from, Pet Parlor girl!" says the scientist pressing hard on Speedy-Girl's suit to melt it.
Fire and heat enter Katie's suit, and the suit melts entirely in front of Katie's surprised eyes. Katie closes her eyes, and her breathing stops a few seconds later.

With a triumphant smile, the scientist drops Katie on the ground and heads back towards the town to accomplish his mission.
"People of Adventure Bay! Your only weak hero lost against me. Her suit is gone too. I can destroy everything now!"
"What...what do you mean!?" Ryder exclaims.
"Her suit? Gone. Reduced to atoms." says the scientist.
"W-where is she!?"
"Somewhere dead! Haah!" says the scientist starting to melt the buildings.

Ryder falls down, and remains sad. Chase, seeing his owner's unusual behavior, joins him.
"Ryder Sir! We can't give up."
"It's okay, Chase. We'll be fine."
"What, what about Speedy-Girl!?"
Ryder doesn't answer. A tear runs down his cheek to his neck.

Suddenly, a huge noise is heard in the sky. Clouds turn gray and black and lightning begins to appear.