〽️ Chap. 3 / Super-Powers 〽️

Some hours later in the morning, a small crowd of people, including Mr.Porter and Mayor Goodway surround the young girl's body on the road. They all look at the white, tired face of the young girl who seems to be dead.
"I wonder what happened to that girl in my town" says Mayor Goodway.
"It's Katie!"
"Oh it's Katie? I didn't recognize her." says Mayor Goodway giving corn to her dear chicken.
"Do you think we should call Ryder?" Cap'n Turbot asks.
"Is that really an emergency though?" Goodway asks.
"Well kind of!" says Alex taking his grandfather's phone and calling Ryder.

A few minutes after the call, Ryder comes with Marshall.
"That's really bad...Marshall, what do you think?"
"It's weird. You see her dead but listening to her heart, she's very alive." Marshall says listening to Katie's heartbeat with medical equipment.
"What do you think we should do?"
"I think Katie has...something like an energy in her. I don't know." Marshall answers then a few seconds later, he adds: "I don't wanna use the automated external defibrillator on her in case something goes wrong. Can we take her to the Lookout?" asks Marshall.
"Yeah sure!" Ryder responds then helps Marshall to carry Katie and put her in Marshall's ambulance.

Shortly after in the Lookout, thanks to Marshall's care, Katie opens her eyes.
"What...happened?" she says with her eyes wide open.
"We found you on the road. What happened?" asks Ryder worried.
"Yes, what happened?" Skye asks next to Ryder.
"I... don't know. I was in my bed and..."
"Take some rest. You don't have to remember what happened. I told Chase to use his detective skills to see what happened. Rocky is also with him." Ryder says.
"And you know Detective Chase. He solves everything." Skye says with a big smile on her face.

"W-wait..my...my Cali! I remember! Cali went somewhere and..."
"Hey, shhh..." Ryder says putting his finger to the blonde girl's cold lips.
"We found her. She actually followed me when I left your parlor yesterday." Ryder says.

A small silence settles in the room at the top of the Lookout. Ryder looks at his pups and then he says, "Pups, you can play outside. Katie needs some rest. I'll stay with her."
"Okie Dokie!" replies the cockapoo full of energy. Skye does a backflip then leaves with the other pups.

"I ... I feel different. I feel ... weird." says Katie, trembling.
"That's nothing to worry about, Kat! You just woke up after a night out." says Ryder smiling.
"No, I feel ... someone else!"
Ryder's phone rings. It's Chase.
"One second..."

Ryder picks up the call, and hears Chase in a questioning voice.
"Ryder Sir, is Katie awake?"
"Yes she is."
"Rocky and I found lightning damage where Katie was sleeping. Can you ask her if..."

"Katie, do you remember anything about ... lightning?" Ryder asks Katie.
"I think yes. It was raining hard, there were thunderstorms and lightning everywhere. And then, I was going to call you and I...I don't remember."

"Rocky asks if Katie was touching a lamp post before she passed out." says Chase

"Yeah, probably. I mean, yeah." Katie replies.

"Ryder Sir, we believe Katie was struck by a powerful lightning. Rocky thinks the lightning struck the lamp post which emitted high concentrations of electricity at Katie. But Marshall said that Katie does not have a single injury, which is very ...weird." says Chase.
"Okay, come back here."

"It's worse than I imagined. I'm going to call a professional doctor." says Ryder but he notices that his phone runs out of battery.
"I'll go get a charger. Can you hold this for me?" asks Ryder giving his phone to Katie.
When he comes back with his charger and picks up his phone, he sees that his phone is fully charged.
"Katie...did you charge my phone with your charger?"
"I don't have a charger on me, I just held your phone." says Katie.

"Katie...your hands. They are...light blue!"
"Uhhh!! I don't know!" exclaims Katie who has just seen her hands changing color.

"I need to call a doctor!"
"Wait, don't call anyone. I... wanna see what else I can do."
"But..."
"I feel like someone else! I feel strong, active and in a great mood!"

Ryder looks at Katie's face with a worried look. He sighs and then says, "You have some kind of energy in you, and I don't want anything to happen to you."
"I know. I just want to do some testing outside. I think my hands can do much more than charge a phone."
"And after that, we'll call a doctor." Ryder says.

The two friends walk down the Lookout and go outside where they see the pups playing ball.
"Hey pups! How about watching TV?" Ryder asks.
"But Ryder, we just started playing football." says Rubble.
"I heard there's a new episode of Apollo the Super-Pup." Ryder says, blinking.
"Let's go, friends! We have to watch this episode now!" Rubble says running towards the entrance of the Lookout. The other pups follow him, barking.

"Okay there's no one here now. What do you want to do?" Ryder asks.
Katie thinks for a few seconds and then raises her hand to the sky.
"Um, blue light!" Katie says but her hand doesn't change color.
"I don't think it will work out that way." Ryder says.
"Let's try something else. Wanna race?"
"I'm gonna let you win." Ryder says preparing to race against Katie.
As Katie begins to run, she notices that time is moving very slowly but then, she realizes that she is the only one moving fast. Ryder hasn't even run five meters that Katie is already very far away.
She returns to Ryder where the latter is bewildered.
"How was I?" Katie asks with a smile.
"You ran so fast that you made yellow and blue streaks behind you." says Ryder, amazed.

"A few hours ago, I was that girl working in the Pet Parlor and when I woke up, I got super powers! Isn't that awesome!?" Katie says happily. "I'm sure I can do a lot of other things!"

Ryder's phone rings and Ryder picks up the call right away.
"Ryder! You need to come here with your pups right now! My Chickaletta was sleeping in my bag but an eagle took my bag. And now, my bag is stuck on a tree!"
"No job is too big, no pup is too small! Paw Patrol, to the Lookout! Stay here, Katie." Ryder says stepping away from Katie.

Ryder, Chase and Skye arrive on the scene.
"Where is she?" Ryder asks.
"Oh someone saved her. She's sleeping peacefully in my arms now." says Goodway.
"Someone saved her? Who?"
"A mysterious girl with the speed of light came, saved Chickaletta, and she left. I couldn't even thank her. Seems like Adventure Bay got a new hero!" says Goodway.

"I wonder who it is." Skye says.
"Ugh, is that again some kind of robot Mr. Humdinger built?" says Chase.
"Katie..." Ryder says softly.
"What did you say, Ryder Sir?"
"I mean, let's get back to the Lookout."