Alan Snaps (🌩💔)

Author's note: The following is based off the so-so amount of information we know about Alan and the role he plays at Smiling Friends. Another thing I should also note to prevent any comments is that a good majority is also headcanon based. Thank you and enjoy.

"Another normal day at work..." Alan thought as he counted the pile of paperclips for what seemed like the millionth time. For the longest time, he had wanted to be assigned a similar mission to Charlie and Pim. That was honestly the only reason Alan joined The Smiling Friends, he didn't want to sit around counting paperclips and take inventory all the time, he wanted to occasionally help make people smile. The only person he ever really interacted with was Glep, which was often boring as he is with Glep all the time on a daily basis. "Alan?" Glep asked, prompting the taller critter to stop what he was doing.

"Yeah, Glep?" Alan responded. Glep furrowed his eyebrows and felt like something was off with his roommate, "You haven't been as talkative as you usually are around me... Is something wrong?" Glep questioned. To Alan, that question felt like a dart to the chest, which was unusual. It felt like he was being attacked simply for being anti-social that day. It sent a fume of frustration to the point where he could quite literally feel fire burning in his eyes. "I'm fine, Glep! I'm just trying to...Focus on my work...." Alan retorted in a shaky, monotone voice. "Alan. You've been tense since this morning. Are you absolutely sure there's nothing bothering you? Did we run out of cheese?" Glep asked once more, trying to help Alan through this rut he was in. "I checked the fridge this morning, there was plenty of cheese." Alan reassured before it then dawned on him to have a lunch break at least.

It was then that Charlie and Pim entered the breakroom with a bag from a burrito joint not too far from here. "Hey, guys!" Charlie greeted, placing the burritos on the table. "Hey Charlie! Hey Pim!" Glep replied. The duo waited for a response from Alan, but he was busy looking for his precious cheese. "Might wanna give Alan some space today. He's feeling a bit out of sorts." Glep explained. Pim frowned at this news, seeing somebody upset was like seeing a dying friend in the hospital. He wanted to help, but respected Glep's wishes. To be fair, Alan was not that social to begin with, which was likely the reason for him not being assigned a client. He was just too "anti-social" to make someone smile, but he wanted to try for so long. "No, no, no, no, no!" Alan stammered frantically. He stuck his head in the fridge to find his cheese, but it was missing once again. It got to the point where he began throwing stuff out of the fridge and still no cheese in sight. "What's wrong, Alan?" Pim asked, prompting Alan to bang his head on top of the fridge. "I-It's nothing, Pim. Just looking for my cheese." Alan said, rubbing the top of his head. "Don't worry, dude. Want me to climb in and check for you?" Glep offered, but Alan shook his head. "I'm just gonna work on my compost, I'll see you guys later." Alan said storming out of the breakroom in a huff. Charlie and Pim looked at each other confused, "All of this over fucking CHEESE?!" Charlie scoffed. "Let's just give Alan some space, ok?" Glep sighed. "Plus working on his compost is always something to help him out with hard times." Charlie rolled his eyes at the green critter's words. "Yeah but he shouldn't get so worked up over something you can just buy at the goddamn store." Charlie remarked before sitting down to have his burrito.

Meanwhile, Alan sat outside to clear his mind of what just happened. But his mind wasn't clear...It was an ocean of thoughts. He tried to focus on the compost, but it just felt like a battle zone. "You idiot! Why the hell do you always have to freak out over something so petty?!" One thought said, "Better yet, why did Mr. Boss hire someone as lazy and anti social as you?" Another chimed in. The tall critter felt like he was being cornered by his own thoughts. He always felt he had nobody to turn to with more intense moments. Plus, none of the other co-workers ever ask about his personal life, so why even bother? "What if they're right? Maybe I did overreact? God! Can't I just act more level-headed like...Charlie?" Alan said, gritting his teeth from frustration. He tried his hardest to just get past everything going on, but one more "petty" thing would make him snap.