Traitor

I lowered myself to my knees before gently placing the flowers against the headstone. He always hated when people gave him gifts, but I figured he would consider making a exception this one time. "Hi Caleb." I whispered, forcing myself to look at the concrete headstone.

Here lies Caleb Wood. A fighter and a kind heart who always protected those he loves most.

"I'm sorry I haven't come sooner." I apologized, plucking some weeds away from the edges of the stone. "I've moved in with Jacob. And I have a son." I smiled at the thought of my cousin jumping up and down with excitement, ranting about how he would teach him to phase and ride a bike. "But don't worry, I didn't get pregnant.  We adopted him, rescued him actually. His parents were killed by vampires." I felt tears well up in my eyes but I blinked them away. I didn't want to cry anymore. "His name is River. He's so amazing and you would love him. He has the prettiest blue eyes and curly blond hair, he even has fallen in love with the pack. Just like we have." I looked up at the sky as snowflakes started to fall. They landed in my hair and touched my face, melting immediately. "Some vampires are coming soon and we have to fight them. They want to kill the Cullens and I know you would've put up a fight but we have to protect Renesmee. She's Seth's imprint after all."

My eyes rested on the word fighter carved into the grave stone. "I need you Caleb. I don't want to die, I need your help. I know your not here, I know I couldn't save you and I'm so sorry." Tears started to sting my eyes again but I let them fall. I couldn't fight these ones. "I love you, so, so much. And I know I showed it but I don't think I did enough. I'm just... so sorry I couldn't save you. I'm sorry I didn't try harder, that I didn't try everything in the world." My voice cut out as my body started to shake with sobs but I tried to keep myself under control. I was almost finished here anyway. "I just wish there was something more I could do. I would do anything to bring you back." 

"That's a large claim, sweetheart." A deep voice purred and I looked past the grave stone towards the woods that surrounded it to see a dark figure step out. 

"Oh my God," I whispered before springing to my feet and running forward, the large shifter laughing when I jumped into his arms. "What are you doing here?" 

Chris chuckled and set me back on the ground, ruffling my snow covered hair. "I was in the area and I figured I would stop by for a surprise visit but it seems like I arrived at a bad time." I shook my head and glanced back at the headstone. 

"No, my cousin Caleb died a couple months before your first visit but this is just the first time I've  been able to come here." Chris nodded thoughtfully and looked at me sympathetically but I shoved his large arm. "Don't look at me like that." 

"Like what?" 

"Like I'm some poor, kicked puppy. The looks were horrible when it first happened and even now they still haven't completely stopped. I don't want peoples sympathy." I told him and he seemed to consider this before walking over to a large rock and sitting down so I followed. 

"What do you want then?" He asked, sounding genuinely curious. I sighed and held my hand out, catching snowflakes in my palm and watching them melt while I waited for an answer to come to me. What did I really want? 

"I want the impossible. I want my life back. I want my parents and my family and my house," 

"And Caleb?" He concluded for me and I nodded.

"And Caleb." I repeated. 

"I understand that, I lost my parents too when I was young and for a while I would've done anything to bring them back. But now? I think it's better this way." I scrunched my eyebrows and looked over at him. Better? "Even though it still causes me pain sometimes I know in my heart that they are in a better place and I also know I wouldn't be the person I am or have this life if that hadn't happened. I don't know your story Wren, but I'm guessing that if that hadn't happened, if your parents hadn't died, you wouldn't be sitting here with me right now."