43. always

DAKOTA

Flour sticks to my skin and apron as I finish up prepping all of the dough for tomorrow. Since the Predators are still in the playoffs, the little bakery on Broadway street gets a lot of attention whenever they play at home, meaning we need to double our usual prep.

I've been in Nashville for almost a month now, having come to start a week early since all of the guys were busy and Ellie has been on a trip to Europe. I needed something to occupy my time, and Maria, my boss, was happy to have the extra hands earlier than planned.

All of the boys missed graduation, and I was able to spend about two weeks up in Seattle with Parker once I completed all of my finals.

The team put him up in a nice apartment that is not only a few minutes drive from the arena, but also a five-minute walk to Pike Place Market.

When he wasn't at practice or playing a game, we were exploring the city, trying to take the cheesiest tourist photos possible. He put me up in a box during each home game with all of the other wives and girlfriends, but no matter how nice they were, it just made me jealous of the fact that none of them have to do long-distance.

While I was there, I even pushed my flight back two times before Parker forced me into the airport, knowing that I was seconds away from shutting down everything here and staying with him for good. He would've come this way to help me get settled, but Seattle is still playing in round three of the playoffs.

My lips rise when I hear the bell above the front door ring and Connor's voice carries through the back door to the prep room. "Marie, don't you just look ravishing tonight."

I can guarantee he's kissing her cheek as she blushes, the almost seventy-year-old woman has a major soft spot for my best friend.

Colorado went out during the first round after an exciting seven-game series, and after securing a two-year contract, the first thing Connor did was move into my living room for the time being. He has go go back in two weeks to start training, but for now, I seem to have a roommate.

"Kota, you look like a fucking mess," he barges through the swinging door.

Smiling sweetly at him, my voice drips with sarcasm. "Connor Hart, you really do know how to boost a woman's ego."

Coming to stand in front of me, he shovels today's extra cookies into his mouth, taking advantage of any perks he can get from having a best friend as a baker. "Hurry up, I want to take you somewhere tonight."

"I don't know, Con, I'm exhausted."

"Then chug a red bull and get excited, girly, because we're going line dancing!"

~

Connor was taking this very seriously.

Not only did he buy us both real cowboy hats and boots, but he's been pulling me around the wide dance floor for over an hour now. While exhausted, this is also the most I've let loose since moving down here, so it has all been washed away by excitement.

"Give me a yee-haw!"

"Yee-haw!" Connor and I holler as he links our arms at the elbows, spinning us in circles while holding his hat steady.

Each time the dances call for switching partners, my best friend twirls me around so quickly that nobody tries to separate us. We continue for a few more songs before I'm huffing and puffing enough that he takes pity on me and leads us to the tables on the second floor that overlooks the dance floor.

"You know," I look over at him. "I don't think I've thanked you yet."

"For what?"

I shrug, my eyes drifting back to the glass of water in front of me as I trace the rim. "Having you here has helped keep my mind off of everything. I've been so stressed out between starting a new job and waiting to hear about Parker's contract."