39. banquet part one

PARKER

"Should I get a bouquet or corsage?"

Brooks and I burst into laughter, watching our friend run around the flower shop with his head cut off.

"Con, it's a fuckin' banquet, not prom." I manage to get out in between breaths.

He huffs. "Well, then what's her favorite flower? I don't want to get the wrong ones."

"How the hell would I know?"

"Brooks, what is it?" He looks at the boy barely standing up.

Brooks slaps his shoulder. "You're her date, not me. You should know this shit."

We got back to school a few hours ago, leaving us with just enough time to get ready for the banquet tonight.

I have not seen Dakota since we left a few days ago, and while I do not think she slept well, she insists everything was fine. I think her sunken eyes on facetime tell a different story.

When I told Connor I was going to come and get her flowers before we went to their place, he immediately went into panic mode. Even though this is technically a date for him and Ellie, and they both are obviously into eachother, they claim they're just friends.

A seemingly very nice old lady starts to approach us. "Can I help you boys with anything?"

I step up. "Yes ma'am, I'm looking for a lavender bouquet."

"What a great choice," she smiles. "And you, hon?"

"I have no idea," Connor throws his hands in the air, defeated.

She gives him a book with every flower combination she can create, and he spends a good twenty minutes flipping back and forth between the pages. He finally settles on three: sunflowers, roses, and tulips.

As I'm about to check out, Brooks taps my shoulder. "I really like those, Cadell."

Knowing exactly what he wants, I sigh, telling the store owner that I need a second bouquet for the now giddy guy behind me. I can not lie though, it's really nice. Not only is it gigantic, but it consists mainly of baby's breath with lavender mixed in.

She gets everything ready quickly, and I'm eager to get to our next stop.

~

We end up getting to the apartment ten minutes later than planned, and Connor lets us inside with his key.

Ellie is standing in the living room, wearing an off-the-shoulder, floor-length black gown.

Brooks steps up first, pushing past an open-mouthed Connor, and wraps her in a huge hug. "Wanna be my date instead, baby girl?"

She giggles, kissing his cheek. "Sorry, but I don't think my current date would like that very much."

I shove Connor closer to her, and he holds out the flowers. "Hey, El. Uh- I didn't know what your favorite flower is, so I just got a bunch."

Trying not to laugh, I watch as Ellie accepts them, struggling to hold everything. "Thank you, Con, they're beautiful."

"You- you look beautiful."

"My god, Connor, you're pitiful." I slap a hand over my eyes, "I can't watch this anymore."

I step around my friend, side-hugging Ellie. "You look great. Is Kota in her room?"

When she nods, I hurry down the hall, excited to see the girl who is always on my mind.