30. hall pass

DAKOTA

Parker is passed out on my shoulder.

Normally, this is the opposite of a problem, however, I've had to pee for the last forty minutes, and the bumpiness of the plane is making it a much bigger issue. It's not like I can just move his head, either. One of his hands is holding my legs over one of his, and the other is wrapped around my middle, effectively attaching our bodies.

Removing my hand from the top of his head, I begin poking his shoulder hard, since he's a fairly heavy sleeper.

"Park, I have to pee, you need to let me get up."

He perks up a bit, leaving his hands where they are but lifts his head. "Can I come with you?"

"Absolutely," I pause, watching his eyebrows raise. "Not," and they go straight back down.

"Then, no," he puts his head back down, mumbling. "Rude ass."

Laughing, I push him off of me and look at him expectantly, waiting for him to stand so I can leave. To nobody's surprise, he remains right where he is, forcing me to climb over him while he cops a quick feel.

Men.

We land soon after I return, and Parker grabs our bags, refusing to let me push my suitcase through the airport. I have no idea how, but he manages to push them both with one hand, the other tangled with mine.

"There he is," Parker points to his dad pulling up to the curb, and we start heading in that direction.

Harper texted me earlier, very upset that she isn't able to come and get us from the airport today due to work. Aaron is a realtor, who is also his own boss, so he was more than happy to take a few hours off and come pick us up.

As Parker loads our bags into the trunk, Aaron jumps out to hug me quickly and usher me to the passenger seat before his son can steal it.

We spend the thirty-minute drive talking about, you guessed it, hockey. Parker kept his parents in the loop about Nashville, so his dad is eager to talk to him about how he'll be in the pros this time next year. His parents are very open about how much they love and support him.

Pulling up to the house, we have to be pretty quick about dropping our things off and getting ready since our flight was delayed and our hockey game is in only a few hours. That sense of urgency is quickly forgotten as soon as a Border Collie comes flying out their front door and into my legs.

"Layla!" Parker drops our bags, rushing over to me just as she starts peeing all over the pavement around me. "Sorry, she gets excited."

"All good," I giggle, continuing to scratch her belly as soon as she lays down and rolls over.

He kneels down to greet her, eliciting even more pee and groans just as I start laughing at her. "Let's go inside, she'll calm down once we do."

Following him slowly, I take in his childhood home, trying not to make it too obvious that I'm staring at the pictures on the wall.

It's very homey, and it's one of those places where you feel comfortable the second you step foot inside. I can see why he loves this place so deeply.

"How far is the guest room from yours?"

"Why does it matter?" He scoffs, "you're staying with me."

"No, I can't," I whisper-yell, not wanting Aaron to hear me.

"Why the fuck not?" He chuckles, "you sleep with me at least five nights a week."

"Not when I'm staying under your parent's roof."