31. cold beaches and princesses

PARKER

Waking up to a cold bed and no Dakota sucks ass, but hearing her down in the kitchen laughing with my parents makes it a little more bearable.

There's somewhere I want to take her before my family gets here, though, so I quickly jump out of bed and get ready before I head out there. I also don't want to intrude on their time alone.

I almost told Dakota I love her last night...again.

The thought stops me in my tracks, and I hit my forehead against the nearest wall a few times. It's not that I wouldn't mean it if I told her, I'm just not ready to say it quite yet. Sure, she told me that I was it for her last night, but that doesn't mean she'd say it back if I did, and I think my heart would actually shatter if she doesn't love me too.

When I finally manage to make it down the hall, I quickly scratch behind Layla's ears, greeting her before everyone else.

"That's perfect, Aaron, you're doing way better than your son ever has," I hear my girl giggle.

"Wow, only nine in the morning and you're already trashing me," I walk into the room, making my presence known.

My mom is sitting on a barstool, taking pictures of Dakota and my dad making chocolate chip cookies, and a large plate of muffins sits on the counter next to them.

"Oops," her head snaps up, "sorry, Park, but your dad can prep ten cookies in the time it takes you to form one."

Rolling my eyes at her playfully, I give my mom a quick kiss on the cheek before rounding the counter and wrapping my arms around Dakota's collarbone. She's wearing tight biker shorts, but her ass is hidden by my hoodie that swallows her frame.

"You almost done in here? I want to take you somewhere," I keep my voice low, knowing that if my parents hear, they'll rush her out of the kitchen and insist they can finish up by themselves.

She tilts her head back, looking into my eyes, "this is our last batch to throw in the oven, so your dad can take over from here."

I see a flash of light and hear my mom make a squealing sound, pulling my eyes from Dakota's for a second. "You two are so cute!" She tilts the screen of her phone towards my dad, no doubt showing him a picture of us.

Ignoring her, I turn back and brush some flour off Dakota's cheek, "sounds good. Dress warm, it'll be extra cold where we're going."

"Yes sir," she salutes me, hurrying down the hall to the guest room.

The second we hear her door close, both of my parents turn to me, smirking in a way that makes me fidget. "What?"

Rounding the island, my dad claps a hand on my shoulder, "nothing. We just really like her, you seem good for eachother."

"Thanks, I think so too," I smile at them gratefully. "I'm taking her to our beach, do you care if I bring Layla?" I gesture to the dog who's drooling at my feet.

"Go right ahead, she's missed you," my mom says, still smiling smugly.

"Okay," I drag the word out, slowly leaving the kitchen and escaping their weird looks.

~

"Is this the beach?" My hand slips from Dakota's thigh as she turns, reaching back to pet Layla.

"This is it," I smile plays on my lips, looking out to the place I love so much. "Come on, let's go for a walk."

Jumping out of the car, I round the hood to open her door and help her out, not that she really needs it, then put Layla's harness on and grab her extra-long leash. We say nothing as we walk down to the shoreline, one of my hands holding onto the dog while Dakota hugs my other arm, fingers laced with mine.