01. brainless big bird

DAKOTA

"El, come on we need to make it to the game on time, or else Connor's gonna give the tickets to his flavor of the week next time," I call out to my roommate and best friend, Ellie.

It's the night of UMich hockey's home opener, and also happens to be the busiest game of the entire season. My childhood best friend, Connor, is the team captain and since our families live in Florida, I do my best to be at every game supporting him.

"Sorry, I'm coming. Josh wouldn't hang up the phone when I told him we're hitting the party straight after the game instead of me going to his place," she responds, referring to her asshole of a boyfriend.

Ellie is the greatest person I know, which is why I'll never understand why she is still with him. They've been dating for about 8 months now, and he practically gets off on controlling her every move.

Ushering her out of the door and into my car, I drive ten over, getting us to the Yost Ice Arena in no time. We quickly pass by the crowded student section, heading straight for our seats right behind the bench. Since Connor is both a senior and the captain, he gets first pick on family seats, and likes to have me within an earshot so I can cheer him on while also calling out every penalty the refs miss.

Connor quickly spots me sit down, dressed in his away jersey, and smacks his stick against the glass to scare Ellie. After almost throwing her popcorn, she sends him a deadly glare before he laughs and turns his attention back to me.

"Come to the tunnel after the game, I want you to meet someone before the party," he shouts, but I can barely hear him over the crowd.

Not even attempting to yell back, I just shoot him a thumbs up in response just as the lights dim and the boys are called to the ice.

~

Over the next two and a half hours, Ellie and I destroy two buckets of popcorn and 4 sweet teas. Plus, I only got nasty looks from Coach Cooper twice for calling the ref a brainless Big Bird. My running record is 7.

After we destroy Penn State 4-1, Ellie and I wait for the crowd to clear a bit before making out way to the player's tunnel. Ten minutes later, Brooks, Connor's best friend, comes barreling through the doors straight at me.

"Kota," he yells happily, lifting me off the ground and spinning us in circles. "Did you see me out there? 31 saves, I'm on fucking fire!"

Brooks has been the starting goalie since his sophomore year, and obviously for good reason.

"Eh, a shoutout would've been more impressive," I respond dryly. The second the words leave my mouth, I am dropped on my feet and Brooks gives me a sad look. My resolve fades quickly and I bust out laughing, wrapping my arms around him once more, congratulating him.

"I've gotta give it to you, Kota, brainless Big Bird could be my favorite insult yet," I hear Connor call out from behind me. Giggling, I turn around and he hugs me quickly before waving over someone behind him.

Soon after, a tall brunette appears next to him, dressed in light blue slacks, and a crisp white shirt, his suit jacket draped over his shoulder.

"Parker, this is my girl Dakota and her best friend Ellie," he explains as he gestures to us, "girls, this is Parker Cadell, our new roommate, and the assistant captain."

Reaching out to shake Parker's outstretched hand, I try and use the moment to take in his features. I don't get far though, because the second my brown eyes meet his green ones, I can't seem to pull them away. A soft smack on my back brings me back, and Ellie gives me a weird look before reaching out to shake Parker's hand, whose eyes remain on me.

"Ah, the infamous new roommate. We were starting to think the guys were lying about you."

Parker's eyes flit to Ellie, his hand reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "Sorry about that, just trying to make sure I was ready for today."

"Are you girls coming straight over?" Connor looks at me.

"No we're gonna go home and change first, we'll be there before 10."

"Sounds good, text me when you're on the way and we'll meet you by the door."

Nodding in response, Ellie and I wave at the boys before turning away and heading to my car.

~

One hour later, Ellie and I are changed and making our way to the hockey house.

"So," she starts, looking over at me. "You have the hots for your best friend's roommate."

"What are you talking about?" I laugh out, "I met Parker all of two hours ago, he could be an asshole for all I know."

"I saw the way you two were making eyes at each other back there," she responds, "you're lucky I snapped you out of it before the guys noticed."

"Brooks would never let me live it down" I laugh.

"He'd just be mad that you have a better chance than him," she has says back to me.

Our conversation quickly ends as the uber pulls up and ushers us out of the car. Dressed in a cropped tank, jean shorts, and high-top converse, the cold breeze nips at my skin as Ellie and I rush to the front door of the now overflowing house.

_________

My first chapter!!

I'm not sure whether I should be nervous or excited, but I'm so pumped to get this out into the Wattpad world.

I know this is a short one, but they get longer as the story goes on so please bear with it! I'm posting the first 3 chapters today and will post 1-2x a week moving forward, all depending on my school schedule.

Thank you for reading, let's get this moving!

<3 Court