07. style

PARKER

The sound of a puck slamming into the board's booms throughout the empty arena.

"Try harder, you weak little boys!" Brooks taunts Connor and me.

Practice ended twenty minutes ago, but the three of us remain on the ice, attempting to score on Brooks. Normally, this would be easy considering we know his weak spots, however today he's forcing us to spin around ten times before shooting.

"Dude, if I keep going I'm gonna puke all over the ice," Connor breathes out, looking a little green.

"Same here, let's call it."

"Fine, I was getting bored anyway. You both suck ass," Brooks laughs out as he approaches us, leaning against the boards.

After Dakota told me about her and Lincon the other day, I couldn't even bring myself to look at him on the ice today. The last thing she would want is for me to crack his face in half, no matter how tempting it sounds.

"I meant to ask, when did Dakota bring the cookies over yesterday? I never saw her," Connor questions, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"She didn't. I made them," I puff out my chest, feeling proud.

Brooks laughs, "no you didn't, those are Dakota's I know that taste anywhere."

"I'm serious, she showed me how to make them last week while you guys were at that study group."

Their jaws drop, eyes wide, looking at me as if I told them the world was ending.

"She taught you how to make them? Like gave you her recipe and everything?" Connor's gone pale.

"Yeah, why are you two acting like dumbasses right now?"

"I've been trying to convince her to teach me for seven years," he looks confused. "What the fuck did you offer her that could make her give it away?"

"Skating lessons."

The boys look at eachother before breaking out into booming laughter. Brooks almost goes down, grabbing onto Connor as they continue laughing.

"Oh shit. I love those cookies, but man, I would never try and teach her to skate again for them," Brooks barely gets out between breaths.

"She can't be that bad, maybe you were just bad teachers."

The guys give me a look before they continue to laugh, skating off of the ice, and heading towards the locker room while I trail slowly behind.

~

After changing and taking a quick shower, I snagged the passenger seat while Connor drives us back to the hockey house.

"Ellie told me that you and Dakota have been talking," Connor looks at me, a smirk on his face.

I immediately look down, feeling heat rise to my cheeks. "Just a little, I wouldn't call it a lot."

Brooks leans forward, shoving his head in between Connor and I's seats, remaining silent.

"I'm not saying it's a problem, trust me. If anything I want it to keep happening," he looks to me, sincerely. "She's had trouble with some guys in the past, and it's made her more reserved when it comes to meeting new people. I've never seen her open herself up to someone so quickly. You're a good guy, Cadell, don't let her regret letting you in."

I don't respond, unsure how to, and continue staring out the window. I made it a point to avoid relationships, only going for hookups while in Wisconsin. I didn't want to make anyone feel like they need to follow me if I get drafted. Now though, I want to be a little selfish when it comes to Dakota.