Chapter Eleven - The Truth's Out

~Charlene’s P.O.V~

The more time I spent with the boys, the less I wanted to return home, but I knew I’d have to go (as soon as I figured out how to go back to my own time anyway). I’d been stuck in the early sixties for two months and had met the boys girlfriends, I was glad to finally meet someone of the same sex, the boys were great and everything, but sometimes I just needed to talk to another girl.

I was sitting in a small coffee shop with Mo and Cyn gossiping about our relationships with Ringo, John and George.

“I’m so  happy George met you,” Cynthia gushed. “What, after Pattie and everything.”

“Me too,” agreed Maureen, a slight frown gracing her features at the mention of this Pattie person.

Cynthia was also frowning slightly.”He met you practically straight away, just, please don’t break his heart.”

I was confused, the two girls that were sat before me, merely stared at me with pleading eyes. “I won’t. I’d never hurt George,” I promised, but my heart gave a tight squeeze in my chest as I thought about how hurt he would be once I’d returned home; he would be devastated. “Who’s Pattie?”

The girls exchanged confused glances, than brought their gazes back to me. “Well,” Mo began cautiously. “Don’t mention this back to the lads, we thought you already knew. Pattie Boyd is George’s ex girlfriend.”

I was surprised, well, I knew I shouldn’t have been though. Why should I have been? George is young, handsome, caring, talented –altogether he’s basically a great person, so it shouldn’t have come as a surprise that he’d a girlfriend before me, really, he’d most likely had more than just one. “When did they break up?”

“The day you met the band,” Cynthia chewed on her bottom lip nervously.

Really? So I was just a rebound to him? “Oh,” I murmured dejectedly.

Mo quickly shook her head, seemingly reading my thoughts. “No! Char, you know George isn’t like that. He cares about you, he really does.”

Cyn smiled warmly beside Mo. “The boy’s besotted with you. He’s absolutely head over heels in love with you.”

That brought a smile to my face, but it quickly turned into a sad frown as I remembered that I couldn’t love George back. Was going back to 2012 really worth breaking George’s heart? I quickly shook the thought from my head, plastering a fake smile on my face so the girls wouldn’t guess something was wrong. I was too late however, as Maureen seemed to have seen my frown. “Alright, Char, what aren’t you telling us?”

Cynthia looked at her questioningly, having not saw my frown because honestly, the girl’s eyesight is worse than John’s. “What’re you going on about, Mo?”

“Nothing,” I replied before Mo could open her mouth.

“Yeah, that’s right, you’re telling us nothing. Now spill,” Maureen ordered bossily.

I sighed, knowing that there was no point in keeping anything from them, they’d know everything sooner or later anyway. “Last month,” I leaned across the table as did both girls, lowering my voice so that it was little above a whisper. “I told George that I wanted to go home to my family and friends, I don’t know why I told him, I just blurt things out at random around him.”

Maureen and Cynthia gasped, shock clear upon both girls faces. “You can’t do that to him, it will kill him!” Mo protested, pleadingly. “How could you even think of leaving him?”

My eyes filled with tears, I blinked furiously to stop the salty liquid from over flowing. “I have too, his career will be ruined because of me,” I tried to explain.